• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ghostwise - RPing and Rulewise

On Puget Sound

First Post
This does bring up a good point though... what if one target of STT has cover or concealment, or is at long range for your weapon, or applies some other modifier that the other target does not? The logical solution to this is to read "result" in the case of that power as being the unmodified die roll, to which (though the power doesn't explicitly say so) you add the relevant modifiers for each target. Clearly this is the RAI.

On Puget Sound

First Post
CustServ response

With a surprisingly quick turnaround time, Josh from CustServ agrees with me. CAVEAT: Based on WOTC custserv's track record, this should be given a bit more weight than "Bob at the Dairy Queen counter agrees with me", but until it's in the Compendium (and it may never be) it's not official. Custserv agents have contradicted each other before.

Response (Support Agent) 12/30/2008 04:52 PM
Keith,

In this case, you're both using the 21 from the elf. You use the entire "roll", which refers to the dice roll plus the modifier.

Thanks, and Good Gaming!

We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you. Please click here to fill out a short questionnaire.

To login to your account, or update your question please click here.

Josh
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496 (US and Canada)
425-204-8069 (From all other countries)
Monday-Friday 9am-6pm PST / 12pm-9pm EST

Customer (xxxxx xxxxxxx) 12/30/2008 02:30 PM
I have a level 1 halfling with WIS 12 and no training in Perception (check modifier: +1). I use Ghostwise Heritage feat to link to a level 1 elf with WIS 18, a +2 racial bonus, and training in perception (check modifier: +11). When rolling perception, my halfling rolls a 14 (check result: 15), the elf rolls a 10 (check result: 21). Which of these is true?

A. We both use the roll of 14 and apply it to our own bonuses, resulting in Perception 15 for the halfling and Perception 25 for the elf.

B. We both use the check result of 21 achieved by the elf.

C. Something else (please explain)?

To clarify the question, my confusion stems from the phrase "higher result of your two rolls". Is the "result of a roll" the number showing on the die, or is it the same as a "check result?"

In rich bakers book swordmage...there is a ghastwise hafling...him and the main character have a lowlevel telpathic bond...in one of the first fights of the book there is a greast example of it...

Cheack out Jean Grey and Scott summers back in the late 80's early 90's...it is pretty close to what he does in sword mage...

Just check with your DM...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads