Giant defense

James McMurray

First Post
Ok,

The party attacked a giant tower last night, that contained 6 Hill Giants (all dead) a Fire Giant, and another Fire Gint Cleric. They managed to kill all of them except the cleric, then they teleported back to town. They'll be teleporting back the very next day to assault again, and the Giants (there will be the cleric, 10 trolls, and 4 Fire Giants) available) need a defense plan.

A bit of setup:

The tower is on a cliff face, that the party flies up. In the rear of the tower is a passageway that slopes up to the fire Giant's lair.

Also in the tower is a captive elder Ice Para-elemental that the giants would love to lure the party to fight somehow.

The cleric is 7th level and will probably use her second level slots for Endurance, as an extra 50 hit points per fire giant is nothing to sneer at.

The giants have a day to prepare.

So, any helpful ideas out there folks?

Old One

First Post
Some Thoughts...

It would be helpful to know the levels of the PCs, but consider some general comments:

(1) Boulder Nets: If the PCs are flying up the cliff face, I would have the giants drop a couple of large nets, weighted down by boulders at the corners. I don't have the limits on what a fly spell grants as a weight allowance, but I'm guessing that four 1,000 lb rocks will be over that limit and send the PC(s) plummeting down. I would used a ranged touch attack for the net.

(2) A couple of Dispel Magic Scrolls: Using a couple of targeted Dispel Magics would be great, especially if it is followed by a barrage of boulders. Use them to either (a) strip away the protectives of the front-line fighters (making it easier for the trolls/giant warriors to hit) or (b) strip away the protectives for the fire support (mages, sorcerers and clerics) then pummel them.

(3) Ambush: Arrange a nice ambush spot where the giants/trolls can use their reach advantage. Lure the party into a room, then block the doors with rocks or large tables that are 10' high. That should block the PCs from melee attacks and allow the giants to attack over it, particularly with boulders or polearms.

Since the cleric has seen the party in action, it should have some specific counter-measures in place. Let us know what the players can do and we will help you hand them their collective @$$s:D!

~ Old One

Last edited:

Wolfspider

Explorer
Just a question about how you've been using the giants. Do you use the "Large and In Charge" variant rule from Sword and Fist? If so, how has it worked for you?

Oh, make sure the cleric turns the fallen giants into undead if he or she can. The half dozen odd giant zombies could at least run interference in some way....

James McMurray

First Post
Old One:
1) I love the boulder net idea! I'll have to use that on them for sure.

2) Based ont he level of magic she's seen going off (several heal spells, flamestrikes, massive damage sacrificed spells, etc.) She's pretty sure she won't be able to dispel any of it. In game terms, she'd need to roll a 17+ on her dispel check.

3) That would be good too. Of course, the party can just fly over the barricades, but that should open them to some AoOs at the very least.

The party is a 13th level cleric, 13th level sorceror (14th after this week), and a 13th level (14th) paladin / knight of the middle circle. What the giants have seen so far:

Flame Strikes
- Sacrificed Spells and tons of defensive magic (displacement, shield, magic vestmented armor, etc.)
- The paladin hits really hard and is incredibly hard to hit (36-44 AC)
- Massive damage is quickly healed (at least 4 heal spells and a big lay on hands went off during the gattle)
- Everyone can fly. One party member uses a winged cloak, the rest spells.
- Holy Smite hurts, but only two of the remaining giants (and the trolls) are evil.
- Everyone but the sorceror was hastong themselves with boots.

Wolfspider: The cleric has the feat, and at least two of the remaining giants will too.As for zombies, based on th power displayed by the party cleric, they'd be destroyed in a single round.

Keep 'em coming! :)

Wolfspider

Explorer
Yes, those pesky clerics. Still, the zombies would take up the parties attention for a round at least. You might want to use them as decoys or base a trap around them somehow (a pit or something).

I don't know. I haven't used giants that much in the new edition. They look like they'd be pretty nasty.

James McMurray

First Post
Oh yeah, giants can be pretty nasty in 3E. They do good damage, have massive range with their boulders, and are intelligent to boot.

I think she'd be better off using her 3rd level spell slots elsewhere though, such as for healing spells, or magic vestments, or prayer.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Throw a two-headed dragon at them. :)

I think if I were the giant, I'd realize I was outgunned and either regroup with even more powerful allies, or I'd try to take one of the party members hostage. I'd say grappling would be the way to go to take out the paladin. A bunch of trolls with Endure Elements:fire (or maybe even Protection from Elements:fire) grabbing the high AC paladin and threatening to throw him in the pit/cage with the elder ice para-elemental would be interesting.

Edit: Grammar error.

Last edited:

James McMurray

First Post
Hmmm... Hostages. A few trolls could grab someone and then the Giantess leader could threaten to have them jump off the 1000' tall cliff. The trolls meanwhile would be readying actions to leap if anyone attacks or their captive tries to get free. Even flight and feather fall can't stop 2100 pounds from dragging you to your death. :)

Gargoyle

Adventurer
James McMurray said:
Hmmm... Hostages. A few trolls could grab someone and then the Giantess leader could threaten to have them jump off the 1000' tall cliff. The trolls meanwhile would be readying actions to leap if anyone attacks or their captive tries to get free. Even flight and feather fall can't stop 2100 pounds from dragging you to your death. :)

Nasty, I like it. The trolls would think jumping off a cliff to be great fun.

Remove ads