Giant defense

Henry

Autoexreginated
James McMurray said:
Seule: Thanks, we figured that out/ I think its one of the factors that made the party decide to parlay with the giants. Realizing you're no longer immune to AoOs from reach...make you think twice about attacking an unknown number of giants in a fortified position. :)

So, what you're saying is that Arkham's reminding you of this is the main determiner in their willingness to parley...

...maybe we should start calling that "Arkham's Rule." Sounds good to me! :)

I'm just sorry we didn't get to hear any tales about Dive bombing trolls... :( ... or the looks on player's faces who faced that :D

Keep us informed! You oughta start a story hour with this stuff!

Bill Muench

First Post
I really wish I had seen this thread earlier. Ah well... Want an evil addition to the boulder nets?

Cast silence on them. :D

Since it is cast on an object, rather than a creature, anyone in its radius (say, the PCs plummeting to their deaths) don't get a save.

Heh heh heh...

James McMurray

First Post
Darklone:

Too bad the boulder nets have not been used. I would have loved them :]

Me too! :)

One question: How do you calculate 50hp extra for an endurance of the firegiants? Are they 25HD monsters AND you roll good? Or do they have an odd constitution and you rolled a plus 5 and they got 17HD (times 3)=51?

50 is a bit of an overestimation (although its almost what the fire giant cleric ended up with).

Another question: Why did the paladin not lose a level? According to rules you get no XPs for an encounter if you died.

I award xp at the end of the night. I do give xp for encounters you died in. Heck, getting killed is probably one of the best ways to learn what not to do. :) I'm not familiar with the rule about no xp if you die, but I doubt I'd use it anyway. Losing a level is tough enough, and getting xp for the fight that killed you sometimes helps to make the hit not so hard.

Henry: Well, this won't be the last opportunity for dive bombing trolls I hope. :) As for starting a story hour, I did that once long ago, but never got any responses. I'm more into posting stories so people can give me advice on where to go next than I'm into entertaining people. Besides, people can read stories here in general as well as they can in Story Hour, and being here makes it less off-topic when I ask for advice (or maybe not?)

Bill: I'd thought about that, but with so few slots available, and the diffictuly involved in ensuring you hit with a net, she opted to cast her silences on trolls that would be grappling and jump. :)

Lord Pendragon

First Post
James, on a completely off-topic note, I thought I'd say you have a great style of DM-ing. While you're giving your NPCs every advantage you can think of, every single one of them takes into account what they would know, what they could do, how much time they have, etc. It's a great example of a DM avoiding using metagaming against his players. Hope your players appreciate it. :)

Gargoyle

Adventurer
James McMurray said:

I really wish I had the time for a mock combat. Could I interest you in a short-term babysitting gig? :)

Got two rugrats myself, so I know what you mean. :) Glad the session went well, sounded like fun.

Remove ads