GiantLands Steven Wolfe Twitter Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinityman

Explorer
Sooo . . . . @Morrus and @darjr seem to think you, @infinityman, are Stephen Dinehart, the owner of Wonderfilled and publisher and lead writer of Giantlands. If you are Mr. Dinehart . . . . your initial post in this thread is highly deceptive in tone, as @darjr pointed out. If you are not, you're being picked on for being suspiciously and overly positive on a game that has a highly problematic publishing history, despite barely being published.

Assuming you are unaware . . . Giantlands was associated with TSR (the "new" TSR) which turns out to be a small company of very toxic individuals. Stephen Dinehart is on record with toxic comments on various social media forums as well. Dinehart split from TSR in the resulting fracas, but hasn't demonstrated much better behavior himself. The switch of Giantlands from TSR to Wonderfilled was also handled very confusingly for a time.

The game is very expensive . . . which isn't a problem in-and-of-itself, but doesn't seem to have the production values to earn the price. The ideas behind the game and setting seem . . . okay.

If you aren't Stephen Dinehart, I'm sorry you're getting picked on a bit here. I hope you continue buying, playing, and promoting games you enjoy, even if those games are not well received by others.

If you are Stephen Dinehart . . . . you need to behave better if you ever want to be taken seriously on this forum, or in the gaming community at large. Still, I hope your game is a good one, and finds its audience.
ha. Thanks Dire. Everyone here was cool on other threads I've been on, but some are really paranoid here. It's strange.

They said the same thing about the initial post, as if the reviewer was tainted, fake or something. I'm not too fazed by it.

I wasn't looking for personal critiques, I know about some of the drama and I don't really care about it.

Back to the Olympics.

infinityman

Explorer
It’s too bad Stephen decided to be deceptive. If he or his operative had come here honestly and dealt honestly it might have gone some distance towards mending their reputation. At least with me. If it included an apology for their transgender hate post.

I’m just sad that James Ward is still involved.

@infinityman Stephen, James is working very hard for you and this baloney dishonors him and his efforts. You could have spent your time championing his event at GaryCon and the premier of his new Giantlands adventure.
Why are you so paranoid?

So I'm not interested in Giantlands, I can't imagine I'll buy it, and it's unlikely I'll ever play it. I have no "old school" gaming roots for it to appeal to; it's not a product for me. Naturally I abhored whichever of the particular crimes of nuTSR Dinehart was culpable in (I really can't remember exactly which misdeeds are attributed to him in that complicated saga, but I abhorred all of the things any of those chuckleheads said or did last summer and even if his only crime was just being at one point affiliated with nuTSR that is something he should make amends for).

But can we please not be so dogmatically anti-Dinehart that merely expressing excitement about Giantlands makes someone suspect of ulterior motives? It doesn't seem like it makes for a very welcoming community, and seems bound to just confirm the narrative that the LaNasas of the world would spin about Enworld.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I own a copy. I like the art and old school box etc but it needed another run or 3 passed an Editor and the rules have some big issues. Maybe it plays better than it appears to, if when my group has a chance to try something new I may give a one shot with them.

I'm not super thrilled for attacking an rpg over the price; game books should be more expensive then they are now, and those working for game companies should be paid more. I would rather judge it for legitimate issues such as editing (or lack thereof), rules, or the publisher's actions.

No, they should not be more expensive. There's simply no way I'm paying that sort of money for a single RPG product.

I'm not attacking the product, but the price.

I admire the Harn setting, but I'm not paying Columbia Game's prices, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases