TSR Giantlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yora

Legend
I believe it was a major factor in the term OSR pretty much disappearing from use within that group. There were half a dozen or so "bad boys" who had always been somewhat unpleasant and reveled in their status of being "rebellious", but who were given a great degree of leeway because it was supposed to be one big happy family, and those guys actually produced some really impressive works.
I was never really sure how it started to tip exactly, but I think at some point some of the more moderate people got fed up and quietly stopped associating with the "mainstream OSR", which resulted in the more obnoxious voices being comperatively louder because there were fewer voices in general.
That lead to an even more unpleasant environment, which accelerated the rate of people no longer using the OSR label and instead associating in different circles. Many, if not most of the progressive OSR people are still around and making stuff, but they no longer do it under a shared label.

Sacrosanct

Legend
That lead to an even more unpleasant environment, which accelerated the rate of people no longer using the OSR label and instead associating in different circles. Many, if not most of the progressive OSR people are still around and making stuff, but they no longer do it under a shared label.
Many of us are still trying, because we won't go quietly into the night to have the OSR hijacked by these tools.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Fo me, this was the stomach churner:
It doesn't really change anything, but I feel the need to point out that if you go to the page where that quote comes from, it actually says:

I'm sorry, but if you are imagining you are being raped all the time everywhere you go, you may want to consider it might be you.

I'm in no way saying that makes it less objectionable, but accuracy is important.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I completely get that the past few weeks especially have been tough (and is tough in general well beyond). However, I don't believe that automatically assuming the worst when there is not yet strong evidence that particular people hold certain beliefs is a good practice, cisgender or not.
I think you and I have a different definition of strong evidence. Quacks like a duck, and all that

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
RPGPundit is on the far-right of the political spectrum and is unremittingly hostile to even other right-wingers who disagree with him. For one such example, he tried to "cancel" Wizards of the Coast when they compared ICE agents torturing immigrants to the kinds of villains adventurers would rescue hapless villagers from. His #dndgate hashtag was an attempt to immerse then in a culture war scandal, but Chris Perkins and others quickly turned it into a discussion on notable gateways and portals in various adventures and campaign settings.
That was a brilliant move on the part of Perkins and others.

OakenHart

Adventurer
I think you and I have a different definition of strong evidence. Quacks like a duck, and all that
I'm speaking specifically on Jim Ward. If that is still what you meant, I suppose fair enough on what we count as strong evidence.

I'm not even really defending here, as him doing a piece of media with those people is troubling and put some points over in the "he may very well hold the same opinions" camp, I'm just not ready to jump on saying he's a bigot when I do not know how much he fully knows about the level of gross things these guys have said, and he himself has not said anything bigoted (that I am aware of, at least) as of yet.

I do not believe I am giving him any more leeway due to him being a white cisgender guy than I would another person as you mentioned people are doing, but I won't discount the possibility of me having blinders here and not recognizing it. Wouldn't be the first time I realized later I had something wrong.

Eubani

Legend
So anyone see anything new sneak out about the game? All I can say about the interview is "They quacked Jim".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads