TSR Giantlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Brennen

Legend
So anyone see anything new sneak out about the game? All I can say about the interview is "They quacked Jim".

Well, the last Update on the Kickstarter page (dated June 8th) said the Limited Edition Box sets would start shipping July 17th.

But then, there's a post in the KS comments, copied from Jim Ward's FB page which doesn't sound like that's anywhere close to being on track:

"They would like to ship it yesterday, sigh. However I just finished the second design book on the combat system. I'm working on the Monster third book and hope to be done in two more weeks with that. Then the first character creation book will be done in two weeks after that. We have a very experienced and talented former TSR editor working on editing and I can't speak for her and her time frame. The art is done for all the books and it is great."

When asked about the Kickstarter version shipping in the next two weeks, he responded, "I'm sorry I put a stop to that. After I read the design I asked to do one more pass."

If Jim says he wants another pass at it, I'm inclined to give him the chance and wait until it is done. I just wanted to post this here for any backers who might be looking for information on this release.

And this is for a game that, for KS pledge levels of Basic Box and Limited Edition Box sets says it was going to ship February of 2020. (And weirdly, PDFs a month later than the physical books.)

So, perhaps this entire thread to discuss Giantlands as a system was premature.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
And this is for a game that, for KS pledge levels of Basic Box and Limited Edition Box sets says it was going to ship February of 2020. (And weirdly, PDFs a month later than the physical books.)

So, perhaps this entire thread to discuss Giantlands as a system was premature.
We gotta cut them some slack: they literally invented TTRPG! Sure it takes time :p

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Heh. When I look at traditions about saints, the saints themselves say they are sinners.

Perhaps the main difference between a saint and a normal person is, the saint comes to understand their own limitations and a normal person doesnt.

It seems like when a saint says theyre a sinner, the religious people of that tradition think the saint is just being modest. But no.

The saints are telling the truth. They really are sinners. We should believe them.

Either some recognized miracles or martyrdom seem to help as well.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I believe it was a major factor in the term OSR pretty much disappearing from use within that group. There were half a dozen or so "bad boys" who had always been somewhat unpleasant and reveled in their status of being "rebellious", but who were given a great degree of leeway because it was supposed to be one big happy family, and those guys actually produced some really impressive works.
I was never really sure how it started to tip exactly, but I think at some point some of the more moderate people got fed up and quietly stopped associating with the "mainstream OSR", which resulted in the more obnoxious voices being comperatively louder because there were fewer voices in general.
That lead to an even more unpleasant environment, which accelerated the rate of people no longer using the OSR label and instead associating in different circles. Many, if not most of the progressive OSR people are still around and making stuff, but they no longer do it under a shared label.
There was the expulsion of Zak...

Yora

Legend
There was the expulsion of Zak...
Years too late.

He got such a such a widespread condemnation because everyone already knew how awful he was, so there was no justified benefit of doubt when major accusations came from inside rather than the outside people he'd been picking on the entire time.
But he had been the big artist with the consistently most creative output, so people deliberately kept looking away. Either because they did not want to risk being part of the popular in-crowd, or because aknowledging his awfulness would make them look guilty by association. You don't want to be seen as someone who was a friend or supporter of someone you knew was awful.

Very much a Weinstein situation.

It didn't work out, of course, and the OSR label has become associated with a crowd that covers for awful people at best, or has no issue with them at worst.

G

Guest 7031328

Years too late.

He got such a such a widespread condemnation because everyone already knew how awful he was
I thought that was the major problem in that case, was that everyone didn't know how awful that guy was, it was only in specific groups that it was known? It was only after his ex-girlfriend came out, and showed how he pretended to be her "defending him" and explained his behavior and opened the floodgates. I fully admit that my memory of events my be incorrect, so by all means, correct me if I'm mistaken (and my apologies if such is the case!)

The other major problem being on the WotC-end, where it was not handled by a team that would understand how to handle something like that, but by an individual involved with game rules and NOT trained in handling those sorts of accusations (Mearls, with WotC acting like a small independent company rather than what they actually are).

Last edited by a moderator:

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I thought that was the major problem in that case, was that everyone didn't know how awful that guy was, it was only in specific groups that it was known? It was only after his ex-girlfriend came out, and showed how he pretended to be her "defending him" and explained his behavior and opened the floodgates. I fully admit that my memory of events my be incorrect, so by all means, correct me if I'm mistaken (and my apologies if such is the case!)
Yes and no. I don't think people generally knew about him being abusive to partners, but everyone who frequented the same online gaming circles as him was generally aware how hostile, combative, and nasty he was in online arguments. But folks were incentivized to look past that for a few reasons, including but not limited to:

1. His personal charm and effusive warmth to people he liked.
2. His massive output of creative and appealing game content and art.
3. His employment of strong moral language and adept use of the DARVO method.

G

Guest 7031328

Yes and no. I don't think people generally knew about him being abusive to partners, but everyone who frequented the same online gaming circles as him was generally aware how hostile, combative, and nasty he was in online arguments.
Ah, that makes sense. I conflated the two things (lumping the abusiveness in with the hostility/combativeness). Thanks for the correction!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads