• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gifts for a Low-bie Party - Advice?

HighTemplar

First Post
Like the others said, seems like you already had great balanced ideas to suit your needs. Havent checked into the AV yet, and I don't like making up items or anything else thats not utlimately quest related (artifact or huge ritual part of the storyline)

Anyways just introducing a new concept of reward.
You seem to have given the players what their caracter might want, which is what i do all the time too. You're their benevolent lucky star that makes sure they're not bored with the treasure which is fine. But if you're willing to play that card, you can also reward the players. One player might find an apparently useless object that he feels has a signification for him, perhaps a symbol with no real worth, but which will later on attract a much bigger reward when they find out it the local princess holds that object most dear(kind of delaying the reward really, but it can keep things interresting or set up your next quest). If one of your player likes intrigue he could find a scroll, or letter, leading him on some plot that is going on, in which you know the player would totally hook on. (I also like to exploit players curiosity taking the player who finds it and check it out alone, in the next room where i make sure he figures out this might be better if he kept it for himself for the moment, or just the exact opposite).

My whole point being you can reward the players as well as their caracters.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
I'd take a moment and give each magic item a name. Rather than give them a +1 viscious battleaxe, make it the Slaughterer's Blade, formerly owned by the barbarian champion Kull the Bloody. Ta-da! Instantly memorable!

And if you make sure the odd NPC recognises an item the PC is using, even better...

Glimmin

First Post
I'd take a moment and give each magic item a name. Rather than give them a +1 viscious battleaxe, make it the Slaughterer's Blade, formerly owned by the barbarian champion Kull the Bloody. Ta-da! Instantly memorable!

And if you make sure the odd NPC recognises an item the PC is using, even better...

I find that this is a great idea if used sparingly. In 4E, a party of 5 is meant to get 4 magic items per level. That's about 2 magic items every gaming session (at least at my group's rate). Thus, if we're getting two items every single game that have their own name and place in history and are recognized by NPCs, it makes that aspect lose its specialness. I'd much rather apply this to maybe 1 in 10 magic items if you use the DMG's suggested item distribution. If you're a low magic campaign, then every single item being "legendary" would be fine.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads