D&D 5E Give Me Any D&D Monster and I'll Homebrew You A Better Version

INTIMIDAT3R

Villager
I want to rewrite every D&D monster from the ground up to be dynamic and flavorful encounters that center the player experience and try to alleviate the workload of the DM. Give me a monster you'll be using soon and want to make an impression, or just one you miss from a previous edition, and I'll juice it up for you.
Cherry Flavored Gelatinous Cube 😁

The thesslehydra. I figured a D&D could have Cerberus (a bunch of dogs and a snake) and Scylla (wolves and dragons plus one "head" as a humanoid torso) as thesselhydras.

NotAYakk

Legend
I'd think the DC for climbing should be dex-based, not strength (on the giant's side).

Body Slam. seems overly punishing for climbing on the Giant. Also should give maximum damage (36) in text.

I might give the reaction option before the save, granting advantage on the save. If you fail at the save, you fail to move. This works well with "on the giant", as the advantage from being flung free cancels the disadvantage nicely, and makes a good narrative.

Brutal Shove and Sweeping Club are a bit too similar.

As a matter of principle, I like having Strength saving throws for melee-ranged "smash" and "push" abilities, rather than Dex. OTOH, I might make the "grab while climbing" pest move be a Dex saving throw (unless you envision it as a contest of strength -- holding on -- instead of one of Dex).

Inner Fire I might make it do max damage if you are climbing on the Giant. The Fire Giant as no other anti-climbing abilities.

The Stone Giant should probably be better with rocks. It knocks prone and has longer range than the Hill Giant, but it is actually a worse move (as it sacrifices more damage) for the creature.

The Rocks being attacks means they aren't that big, as it can be stopped by armor. A Dex saving throw is appropriate here? I might also make it a 5' diameter for Hill and 10' diameter for Stone. Even if that is ridiculous.

Last edited:

I'd think the DC for climbing should be dex-based, not strength (on the giant's side).

Body Slam. seems overly punishing for climbing on the Giant. Also should give maximum damage (36) in text.

I might give the reaction option before the save, granting advantage on the save. If you fail at the save, you fail to move. This works well with "on the giant", as the advantage from being flung free cancels the disadvantage nicely, and makes a good narrative.

Brutal Shove and Sweeping Club are a bit too similar.

As a matter of principle, I like having Strength saving throws for melee-ranged "smash" and "push" abilities, rather than Dex. OTOH, I might make the "grab while climbing" pest move be a Dex saving throw (unless you envision it as a contest of strength -- holding on -- instead of one of Dex).

Inner Fire I might make it do max damage if you are climbing on the Giant. The Fire Giant as no other anti-climbing abilities.

The Stone Giant should probably be better with rocks. It knocks prone and has longer range than the Hill Giant, but it is actually a worse move (as it sacrifices more damage) for the creature.

The Rocks being attacks means they aren't that big, as it can be stopped by armor. A Dex saving throw is appropriate here? I might also make it a 5' diameter for Hill and 10' diameter for Stone. Even if that is ridiculous.
Thank you, this is all great feedback!

Remove ads