D&D General Give my your favorite class abilities

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I liked the general concept, but it was poorly implemented. For creatures that were primarily ranged attackers, such as artillery and controllers, it made absolutely zero sense for them to run into melee. It would have made far more sense to simply require everyone affected to target the character with an attack action on their next turn. Melee characters would have run up anyway, but the wizard/archer wouldn't.
Yeah, the pull + damage was kinda unnecessary.

Honestly a mass mark, AC boost + free action counter attack against a creature that missed you would have been better.

Digdude

Just a dude with a shovel, looking for the past.
Casting realm spells in birthright made magic seem epic. I miss that.

Last edited:

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I once had a Paladin of Conquest get betrayed and attacked by the party's Fighter under some kind of geas. Rather than draw a weapon and admit they were in any way threatened, my paladin hit him with Conquering Presence and then just beat him to death with their Aura of Conquest. Best encounter ever.

I really miss the D&D3/Pathfinder feat economy.

And a bard whose tendency to sing is a result of their knowledge and power, not its source.

I also miss cleric domains and wizard specializations that weren't tied to kit and the ranger getting a functional animal companion in addition to good exploration abilities.

It's not really a class ability but I also miss prestige classes. The concept, not the published implementations.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Weapon Specialization, especially the rate of fire increases for tiny thrown weapons
You know what I kind of liked? The way Basic D&D had Weapon Mastery, so the benefits granted by a weapon increased as you gained more proficiency. Example:
WeaponMastery.jpg

Hussar

Legend
Binders from 3e and how when you bound yourself to the vestige, there were physical and behavioral changes to your character. SOOO much more flavorful than warlocks IMO.

Retraining. Absolutely retraining. The ability to retrain class choices at higher levels was just one of the best mechanics.

I like the way 5e rogues get action choice options for their bonus action. I almost wish it was more spread over more classes. Not necessarily the same choices, but, I would like to see other classes have built in bonus actions. Particularly the martial classes. Casters already have bonus action spells. But Fighters could really use a bonus action selection.

Remove ads