D&D (2024) Give unarmed strike grapple mastery? (And give it to monks)

Should unarmed strike get a grapple mastery?

• Yes

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 38.1%

mellored

Legend

I.e.
If you hit a creature with an Unarmed Strike, you can force the creature to make a saving throw with a DC equal to 8+your Proficiency Bonus+the ability modifier you used to make the attack roll. On a failed save, the creature is Grappled by you.

Alternatively
When you hit a creature with an Unarmed attack twice on your turn, they are grappled.

Obviously this will affect monks the most. But then they can drag enemies around with their high speed.
Possibly add in a throw or something for them at some point or as a subclass.
judo-throw-korean-idol-ikblr25qn49rvsf8.gif

Last edited:

Clint_L

Hero
I feel like unarmed strike should get a mastery, but only if you are trained in it, either by being a monk or through a sub-class or feat. Grapple is a good suggestion. I don't feel like a fighter, ranger, or paladin should be able to automatically have mastery in this style of fighting.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

I.e.
If you hit a creature with this weapon, you can force the creature to make a saving throw with a DC equal to 8+your Proficiency Bonus+the ability modifier you used to make the attack roll. On a failed save, the creature is Grappled by you.

Obviously this will affect monks the most. But then they can drag enemies around with their high speed.
Possibly add in a throw or something for them at some point or as a subclass.
IMO they should have that, and when they US a grappled target or one that has missed them with a melee attack since the monk’s last turn, they can throw the target.

Vanishingly few practical martial arts have no grappling or throwing. From aikido to European longsword dueling, grapple, shove, and throw, as part of the attack, should be part of the martial arts class feature.

And they should get all simple, versatile, and one-handed weapons, IMO, (well I’d just give them all weapons but some folks hate that idea) but that’s another discussion.

Stalker0

Legend
I feel like unarmed strike should get a mastery, but only if you are trained in it, either by being a monk or through a sub-class or feat. Grapple is a good suggestion. I don't feel like a fighter, ranger, or paladin should be able to automatically have mastery in this style of fighting.
It would be a mastery you have to take just like any other. If a fighter chooses to take this as one of their 3 masteries at 1st level....then by all means.

I don't see why this mastery would be any more "special" than any other mastery.

Stalker0

Legend
I do think grapple is a good mastery for unarmed strikes, though similar to topple I am loathe to have a mastery that can generate save after save and after save with each attack. I would prefer some alternate mechanic, but the grapple itself I am fine with.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)

I.e.
If you hit a creature with this weapon, you can force the creature to make a saving throw with a DC equal to 8+your Proficiency Bonus+the ability modifier you used to make the attack roll. On a failed save, the creature is Grappled by you.
Unarmed Strike isn't a weapon. Not saying this isn't a good idea for a feature, but you'd need to find a different way to template it.

Remove ads