Giving d20 Modern a Try...Anything I Should Know?

coyote6

Adventurer
Yeah, that's probably the root of my problem with d20M; I have little interest in Modern D&D. The kinds of modern fantasy I like can be done better (for me) with different systems.

But enough about that -- now we must devise a way to prod jonrog1 into statting up more Leverage crew, in different systems. Let's say, M&M (close to True20, but different -- feel free to use Athletics there, too), SW, and, hmm, FATE? Have you tried SotC or FATE yet?

Greg K

Legend
But enough about that -- now we must devise a way to prod jonrog1 into statting up more Leverage crew, in different systems. Let's say, M&M (close to True20, but different -- feel free to use Athletics there, too), SW, and, hmm, FATE? Have you tried SotC or FATE yet?

I was thinking t20, d20M, SW, Cortex, and M&M :p

Anyway, I really want to see how

a. how Jon handles Sophie being a great con woman, but lousy stage/film actress. High Bluff and Diplomacy, but low (or non-existant) perform skill?; and

b. What martial arts style or style's Elliot practices. Is it a "very distinct style" (Man, I laugh when the team asks him how he can discern training or a gunshot from a brief fight, seeing a guard's stance, or hearing a gunshot)?

But, yes, I really want to see the whole team.

And, on a non-rpg note, thanks to Jon's comment about Elliot, I am I not only waiting to find out if Nate pulls an Icarus after Sophie's comment, but I want to know Elliot's secret.

jonrog1

First Post
A fan of the show was nice enough to stat out the drew in FATE, and I couldn't improve on it. let me see ...

Parker
“42 seconds to rob this bank. One security guard who never fired his gun before, two closed circuit camera's outside, one inside, and an glenn-reader safe built in the 1950's whose default combination is the birthday of the manager's wife. Get in and get out - 42 seconds.”

Aspects
20 Pounds of Crazy in a 5 Pound Bag
I PUT A RAZOR BLADE IN THAT APPLE!
It’s For Speed!
Always an Orphan
Emotionally Oblivious
Kleptomania Can Be Useful
It Feels Like Real Money
There’s a First Time for Everything
Thievery is Fun!
Not Without My Bunny

Skills
Superb: Burglary Great: Sleight of Hand, Stealth
Good: Alertness, Athletics, Resources
Fair: Deceit, Endurance, Investigation, Resolve
Average: Academics, Engineering, Guns, Rapport, Science

Stunts
Tripwire Sensibilities (Burglary) Trespass Tempo (Burglary) Hatpin Maestro (Burglary) Bump and Grab (Sleight of Hand) Acrobat (Athletics)

"Ah, Parker, the best thief of the lot. She’s very good at breaking and entering and all the usual thief stuff and her stunts back that up. Unlike Nate, Parker’s stunts are more geared towards the actual doing of thievery, not the planning part. That and she’s the only one with a Sleight of Hand stunt, which is why she probably does most of the lifts.

As mentioned in the general notes, I put a razor blade... can be invoked when she seems to con people in her own unique manner. It’s probably why she doesn’t blow her cover as often as she does, as she can invoke that aspect to let her reroll. Kleptomania Can Be Useful was used in the 12 Step Job when she lifted the gun from the guy.

Always An Orphan was compelled by the GM in the Stork Job to get her right into the job, and Emotionally Oblivious has been compelled so many times that it’s not even funny. Not Without My Bunny was tossed in there mostly for fun, but it represents her very unusual upbringing and how that might help in other jobs."

Nicely done.

NMC

Explorer
Starting at 3rd level is a good idea... Starting at 3rd level means that a PC's next level, if desired, can be their first level in an Advanced Class.

I'll second this recommendation. I've run a good deal of Modern using the Treasure Hunter, and the pregenerated characters I use are 3rd level. They're set up to progress nicely into certainly archetypal advanced classes, and it provides a nice cushion for hit points. One of the changes that I really like in the SW Saga Edition rules was the triple hit die at 1st level.

-Nate

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
So we played d20M for a couple of weeks, and it was a lot of fun. To be honest, I like it a lot more than I thought I would. Nonethless, we won't be making it our "regular" game anytime soon. We are heading out of town for the holiday, and when we get back, we will be resuming our 3.5E game.

Who knows? Maybe we will be back.

Thanks for your input, everyone. It was a blast, but it's time to head back to the realms of dragons and faeries.

Remove ads