Giving More Feats To Players

Azure Trance

First Post
I've read topics like this before, but don't remember the specifics :( With so many options for feats - metamagic, crafting, combat trees, tactical - what would be the repercussions of increasing the number of feats given? Instead of, perhaps, 1/3 levels, it was 1/2 levels. A PC would get 10 feats instead of 6, and a bonus 4 feats does not seem like it would ramp up player power significantly. It also wouldn't marginalize the fighter severely either, IMO (I recall threads where people suggested a feat every level). Am I missing anything else? Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
I see nothing wrong with it. I've been thinking of doing that in my next fantasy game since we use so many products there are literally thousands of feats out there the Players like.

Just remember to give a few extra feats to the bad guys to keep things fair :D

Zack2216

First Post
What I did to solve the problem is use a 'feat tattoo' mechanic. What they do, basically, is give you the feat. But, because they are magic items, they can be dispelled. You have to meet the prerequisites to gain the benefits of the feat, such as having 4 levels in fighter to use weapon specialization.

To figure out the cost, I did my calculations based on the feat's prerequisites. If they don't have prerequisites, compare them to magic item calculations that give similar results.I capped it at 5 feat tattoos, until epic when they get extra magic item slot, which would increase the cap to 10.

Last edited:

tauton_ikhnos

First Post
1 feat every odd-numbered level works for us. Fighters turn into feat machines, everyone else still gets some loving.

Like the feat tattoo idea. Maybe make it acquired ceremonial, sort of like in Monte's Arcana Unearthed.

EvilMood

First Post
Just for the record, the standard reply must be "Giving more feats by character level makes creatures more powerful and thereby devalues feats and abilities given by class level", => level progression becomes more significant compared to class progression => which class you take becomes less important than merely advancing => it makes classes less different.

Anyone for a longer run-on sentence? Applicants must sign in at www.somewhere.net before a little while ago to enter the competition.

Edit :)

Last edited:

tauton_ikhnos

First Post
EvilMood said:
Just for the record, the standard reply must be "Giving more feats by character level makes creatures more powerful and thereby devalues feats and abilities given by class level"

In my experience, this is not true. At 20th level, this equals +3 feats. Just three. No more. Three extra feats at 20th level does not significantly impact how important your class choice is.

Also, many feats are most useful for particular classes, and less useful for other classes. Taking these in no way makes classes less different, or class choice less important. In this case, actually increases class differentiation.

The difference is: +3 feats at 20th level. No more. No less.

Last edited:

MerakSpielman

First Post
The problem I found is that there are so many tons and tons of feats on the internet (what with all the netbooks) that, unless you allow extra feats, are almost worthless. When I got feat-crazy during my last campaign, what I did was the following: I required each character to belong to a particular racial sub-group (dwarven clan, for instance) that gave a particular feat for free. In addition, I required each character to be a member of an organization that trains people in their particular class. These organizations also granted feats every few levels, but in a predictable pattern. Fighters from the Immortals school got the super-toughness line of feats, for instance, which ends up giving them a humungous bonus to hit points.

Unfortunately, the campaign folded (along with the dissolution of the entire gaming group) before I could really see how it was going.

Azure Trance

First Post
MerakSpielman said:
The problem I found is that there are so many tons and tons of feats on the internet (what with all the netbooks) that, unless you allow extra feats, are almost worthless. When I got feat-crazy during my last campaign, what I did was the following: I required each character to belong to a particular racial sub-group (dwarven clan, for instance) that gave a particular feat for free. In addition, I required each character to be a member of an organization that trains people in their particular class. These organizations also granted feats every few levels, but in a predictable pattern. Fighters from the Immortals school got the super-toughness line of feats, for instance, which ends up giving them a humungous bonus to hit points.

Unfortunately, the campaign folded (along with the dissolution of the entire gaming group) before I could really see how it was going.
It is tempting. The amount of feats available are simply staggering - from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting to the various FFG Path of The Sword / Magic / Faith / Etc to Montes various releases. If I could come up with a more clever way to disperse appropriate feats I would.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Many Feats

Azure Trance said:
I've read topics like this before, but don't remember the specifics :( With so many options for feats - metamagic, crafting, combat trees, tactical - what would be the repercussions of increasing the number of feats given? Instead of, perhaps, 1/3 levels, it was 1/2 levels. A PC would get 10 feats instead of 6, and a bonus 4 feats does not seem like it would ramp up player power significantly. It also wouldn't marginalize the fighter severely either, IMO (I recall threads where people suggested a feat every level). Am I missing anything else? Any suggestions?

One of the things that I recommend is making some feats Event-Based. When a character meets the Event requirements, he or she automatically gains the feat. For example, studying for X amount of game time in the Rookhaven School of Fencing might grant a specific fencing-related combat feat. Most of the Event-Based feats in my campaign right now simply mean that the character has learned more about how the world works, and can attempt to do things in an alternate way.

Raven Crowking :)

Remove ads