Glove of Storing question.

IcyCool

First Post
One of my players sprung this on me the other evening, and I was wondering if there was any errata on the subject.

The character has a shield, and a Glove of Storing. Could he, at the start of his turn, store the shield as a free action (thereby allowing him to use both hands that turn), and then bring it back with a free action at the end of his turn? This would essentially allow him the use of both hands on his turn, and the shield benefit while it isn't his turn.

Did they errata the Glove of Storing to a swift action?

Infiniti2000

First Post
IcyCool said:
One of my players sprung this on me the other evening, and I was wondering if there was any errata on the subject.
No, there is not. Also, I don't recall any other text in the Complete Arcane regarding the glove of storing.

IcyCool said:
The character has a shield, and a Glove of Storing. Could he, at the start of his turn, store the shield as a free action (thereby allowing him to use both hands that turn), and then bring it back with a free action at the end of his turn? This would essentially allow him the use of both hands on his turn, and the shield benefit while it isn't his turn.
First, it can't be a tower shield -- that's too heavy. However, a shield (either light or heavy, or even a buckler) is not "held in the hand" and the glove only works on such items. To put a shield that you are wearing in the glove, you need to loose it first (move action, or free action combined with a regular move). When you get the shield out of the glove, you need to ready it first (move action, or free action combined with a regular move).

IcyCool said:
Did they errata the Glove of Storing to a swift action?
Like I said, not that I recall. However, as the DM you can limit the number of free actions as you see fit. You are perfectly justified per the rules to say that you can only use the glove of storing once per round. Likewise, you could also impose no limit on it.

Infiniti2000 said:
Like I said, not that I recall. However, as the DM you can limit the number of free actions as you see fit. You are perfectly justified per the rules to say that you can only use the glove of storing once per round. Likewise, you could also impose no limit on it.

In a campaign where I played an Assassin that relied heavily on a Glove of Storing, my DM limited me to pulling things out of the gloves once per round, and putting thing into the glove once per round. I believe this stops some of the greater abuses of the gloves (which I don't really find to be that bad in the first place), but still allowed my very cinematic strike that started with empty hands, cut the enemy in half, and ended with my hand being empty again (think Necrid from Soul Calibur 2, but a lot more graceful).

Tarangil

First Post
I believe that it can be done. What the player seems to be doing is reproducing the same effects as a ring of Force Shield with the glove of storiing.

Grogtar

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
To put a shield that you are wearing in the glove, you need to loose it first (move action, or free action combined with a regular move). When you get the shield out of the glove, you need to ready it first (move action, or free action combined with a regular move).

There is the crux.

One - I dont think you can hold a shield in your hand, unless its a buckler - much too large. You could hold onto it via straps of some kind, but I dont think that flies. Else nearly any object could work in a glove of storing.

Two - Holding a shield in your hand and "Wielding" a shield are different. It needs to be strapped on or wielded, not just held.

IcyCool

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
First, it can't be a tower shield -- that's too heavy. However, a shield (either light or heavy, or even a buckler) is not "held in the hand" and the glove only works on such items. To put a shield that you are wearing in the glove, you need to loose it first (move action, or free action combined with a regular move). When you get the shield out of the glove, you need to ready it first (move action, or free action combined with a regular move).

Grogtar said:
There is the crux.

One - I dont think you can hold a shield in your hand, unless its a buckler - much too large. You could hold onto it via straps of some kind, but I dont think that flies. Else nearly any object could work in a glove of storing.

Two - Holding a shield in your hand and "Wielding" a shield are different. It needs to be strapped on or wielded, not just held.

A buckler is strapped to the forearm and not held in the hand at all. A shield is both held in the hand, and strapped to the forearm. On further reading over the various shield entries and the Glove of Storing, it looks like the shield can indeed be stored as a free action (it is held in the hand, and therefore can be stored). Retrieving it would also be a free action, but when it comes back out, it won't be readied. So you would have to ready it before you could use it. Am I missing something in the Glove of Storing description that contradicts this?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
IcyCool said:
A buckler is strapped to the forearm and not held in the hand at all. A shield is both held in the hand, and strapped to the forearm. On further reading over the various shield entries and the Glove of Storing, it looks like the shield can indeed be stored as a free action (it is held in the hand, and therefore can be stored). Retrieving it would also be a free action, but when it comes back out, it won't be readied. So you would have to ready it before you could use it. Am I missing something in the Glove of Storing description that contradicts this?

I think so. The glove of storing uses the Shrink Item spell, and if the item is strapped to your forearm, it couldn't shrink down without cutting your hand off (in which case the spell fails). So I think you would need to spend the move action to loosen the shield (although you can do it as part of movement if you have +1 BAB). After that, it's a free action to store it or retrieve it (although you need to spend another Move action to ready it again).

I have a character who used a Glove of Storing and a shield, and thats how it worked for me.

IcyCool

First Post
Caliban said:
I think so. The glove of storing uses the Shrink Item spell, and if the item is strapped to your forearm, it couldn't shrink down without cutting your hand off (in which case the spell fails). So I think you would need to spend the move action to loosen the shield (although you can do it as part of movement if you have +1 BAB). After that, it's a free action to store it or retrieve it (although you need to spend another Move action to ready it again).

I have a character who used a Glove of Storing and a shield, and thats how it worked for me.

Ah, I knew I was missing something. Thanks!

Remove ads