GM Meta-burnout

Greybird

Explorer
Man, pen-and-paper has been unkind to me lately. As of this month I've been GMing for 30 years(!). I've run games in probably 15 or 20 different systems. For the last couple of years I've been dealing with a lot of GM burnout. It isn't the usual GM burnout, though. This is GM-Meta-Burnout! I've done the usual stuff that's worked for decades. I've taken GMing breaks. I've tried new campaigns. I've tried new systems, jumping from D&D to Torg: Eternity to Pathfinder 2 just in the past year. I've switched up genres. Then I get the fire in my belly and love the brainstorming, but as soon as I commit with my players and sit down to start working on a game, though, BAM! Any enthusiasm dies, and it dies hard. I want to GM. I love GMing. I love the moment to moment expression of the craft. But at the same time I've found myself miserable.

I've spent many hours over the past few weeks analyzing myself, my last few years worth of games, and this is what I've figured out:

1. The thing I've noticed I have the biggest negative reaction to is the technical side of the games. I don't enjoy elaborate systems anymore. I no longer enjoy the math. And forcing myself to do all of this makes me absolutely miserable.

This wouldn't be a problem, except for one thing: I'm a very technically minded person. I don't know any other way to function. Everything I do is in a series of organized systems, from my budget to grocery shopping to taking a shower. Throw a handful of junk on the floor and I sort and organize it in my mind as soon as I see it, involuntarily. And as I've gotten older, this tendency toward technical thought has grown more and more pronounced. This has caused my attempt to play non-technical systems (mostly Powered by the Apocalypse games - Dungeon World, Masks) to end in disaster. I don't know how to think that way.

2. For the last decade I've mostly run pre-written content. I realize now that this has contributed to the problem, as it has turned RPGs from being a creative outlet and an exercise in imagination into an exercise in memorization. I've now come to understand that this has sucked a lot of the joy out.

Most of the time, the solution would be obvious: Go back to writing my own content. That's a problem, though. As I mentioned above, I'm no longer enjoying the technical elements of the games. I don't want to deal with the rules and math involved in writing and balancing session. I absolutely want the imaginative, creative elements, but the framework for implementing those things is killing me.

And the solution to that should be obvious, too: Play a system without the heavy technical elements. But see the part after #1. I've never had much luck without a technical framework to rely on. I tend to get very lost, very quickly. My instinct when struck by a situation is to figure out which rule applies. If there is none, I draw a blank, which makes me nervous, which makes me draw even more blanks. As I said before, my attempts to run systems like Powered by the Apocalypse have been disasters. I really do understand how their systems work, but in practice it is like writer's block with everyone waiting for me. Constantly.

And this is all terribly unfair to my players who try to get invested in my games only to have me burn out and either run mediocre sessions or switch systems yet again. This goes doubly when they invest in a system, buying rulebooks, studying rules, and so forth. I feel terribly guilty any time the burnout hits because I'm letting down long-time friends. Taking an extended break around here would probably mean the end of the group. Only one other person really GMs, and my impression is that he doesn't want the job long-term. And in a town of ~4,000 people located between two cows and a cornfield finding decent players makes finding a group in a city look like a cakewalk. Taking an extended break would probably mean giving up the hobby completely at this point, which I have no desire to do.

Short version: I'm a long-time GM who is losing the fun because he can no longer take joy in the technical aspects of the game while at the same time being locked by his nature into a technical mindset that makes non-technical games very difficult to run. And yet I still love and need the creative elements that you can't really find anywhere else, and don't want to give up the hobby.

Unfortunately, I've thought myself into a circle on this one. My nature is such that I have trouble running loose games, but loose games are the only thing that suit my needs, except that my nature is such that I... you get the idea.

I'm too close to the problem, and I'm getting stuck in a vicious cycle. I'd appreciate any insights.

Just a point for those that glossed over it: I have already taken GMing breaks, and yes, I was running PbtA correctly. ;)

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Have you spoken to the other people in your gaming group about this? I'm part of a group that's been gaming (with some slow turnover) for a couple decades, and we almost always have a couple of people willing to step in if someone is burning out. Maybe someone else in the group is interested in doing it. Maybe you can try to teach someone how to do it. People are often willing to help, but they're also often reluctant to offer to help in the absence of stated need.

I've been through something similar, but closer to burning out on TRPGs in general than it sounds as though you are. My experiences don't seem likely to be helpful as far as getting back to being able to game and GM, but I will say that playing a new system got me interested in GMing that system, and collaborative board games did a lot for scratching the more-general gaming itch (though now they seem more like something to do if TRPGs aren't on the table, so to speak).

Good luck to you. I hope you get back to finding the pleasure in gaming.

tommybahama

Adventurer
Maybe switch to board games until you figure out a solution? That way you can get a fairly rules heavy system but you can share the burden of knowing the rules with other players and only one person has to invest in the game. Here is a list of ten "RPG board games" I found in a quick Google search. I'm sure there are others here that can suggest better options.

10 Best RPG Board Games Review

Board games are apparently making a big comeback. You might be able to find more people to play board games than RPGs in your small town. Also, as a side thought, consider running the Adventurers League modules. Most are less than four hours and can be run as one shots. You can fit them in here or there between board game sessions so you don't give up on RPGs entirely.

Maybe switch to board games until you figure out a solution? That way you can get a fairly rules heavy system but you can share the burden of knowing the rules with other players and only one person has to invest in the game. Here is a list of ten "RPG board games" I found in a quick Google search. I'm sure there are others here that can suggest better options.

I think this is a great idea. I'd suggest Betrayal at House on the Hill (apparently there's also a Betrayal at Baldur's Gate re-skin) as a board game that you could effectively role-play with. Arkham Horror also seems like an obvious suggestion, but I'll admit I've never gotten past the rulebook.

atanakar

Hero
My solution to the exact same problem was to play wargames instead for a while. They are technical, require just one opponent and if rescheduled it is not the end of the world. If you are not artistic it does not have to be a game with minitures to be glued and painted. You can go with hexes and counters or card base games. (and you can immerse yourself in all the setting lore and backstory)

I found that doing another leasure activity recharged my GM mojo. I was able to get back in the saddle like I used to. Take a break do something else.

Last edited:

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Have you tried doing something fairly simple and well and truly silly? I'm not sure exactly what to suggest because I don't know what else you've played, but something simple enough to not involve much mental math, coupled with a goofy or funny premise. Whether that's doing Carebears, or Scooby Doo, or a Knights of the Dinner Table thing. Something played for pure joyous laughter.

For the technical side of your noggin, board games and wargames seem like good ideas.

Greybird

Explorer
I've actually got enough board games to play something new every week for the next couple of years. My group isn't really interested, though. I've tried. And wargames are a good idea, but this group is close enough that it would involve excluding people, which would be a problem.

atanakar

Hero
I've actually got enough board games to play something new every week for the next couple of years. My group isn't really interested, though. I've tried. And wargames are a good idea, but this group is close enough that it would involve excluding people, which would be a problem.
Do you have to be the DM? You could play for a while and pass the torch.

Greybird

Explorer
Yeah, I pretty much have to be the DM or the group likely fades away. And getting groups of players who aren't bleeps in a town of under 4k isn't just hard, it's a process that takes years.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
A dichotomy here is how technical prep work feels like a (soul draining) slog, but a structural framework during the game is needed to support you during play. Perhaps there are systems that are both prep-light and forgiving enough that as long as what you create is anywhere close enough the encounter will likely work out without you worrying overmuch about balancing your scenarios.

If you want a high fantasy D&D-like, I'd suggest 13th Age but leaving out the Icon relationships since they act a bit like Fronts (but sometimes positive) in PbtA and that you've mentioned is a stumbling block when on the spot.

With the wonderful proliferation of game systems out there, there likely are others that may fit that criteria of structured play but light and forgiving prep.

Remove ads