GM Meta-burnout

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Map tools has a community developed Framework for D&D 5e that makes it more useable as DM game aid, but like @Jd Smith1 I am not using it for a networked game. I run two instances. One is the DM host, which I have on one screen and the other is a players instance that I have on another screen that I share via Google Meet.

I don't use Table Tool because it is the easiest tool for hosting on-line games. It certainly is not.

But I need a tool that will work offline for in-person games, that will work internationally, that I can use with when I have low bandwidth. I also want to be able to quickly search and filter through thousands of tokens and hundreds of maps quickly. I want to pull up a map and have it ready to play with party tokens on it in under a minute. I want a way to manually remove fog of war using not only shape based area selectors but also freehand.

Map Tool is the only tool that does all this. The only thing is does not do well that I would like is a way for players to interact online without needing to download software and not have to download game assets.

Foundry running The Forge offers a really nice VTT experience and makes it pretty easy to pull from a large number of map and token assets. Players do not have to download anything. I can host it anywhere I want to get around region blocking.

If only it gave me a the ability to erase Fog of War Manually instead of requiring that I prep the map by drawing all the walls and doors and such. I would happily commit to it and finally leave Map Tool behind.

Remove ads