GM Workshop

themind

Explorer
Ok, we've all been there, whether we like the admit or not. Working on your adventure or campaign and you hit the one thing you thought you'd never hit...the inevitable Writer's Block.
Some people like to talk about their ideas with others to try and get the creative juices going, you would talk to your friends, but then again, they are most often your players, and youdont want to go and ruin plots and junk for them.

So what to do then, well that's what this thread will be about. A place to come and toss a few ideas around and get a fresh perspective on the situation from other GM's.

Got an encounter you need help fleshing out, a story element you really want to implement but you can't figure out how to get to work, got any problem with your campaign, just come here and other GM's can help you out. I mean, who better to help out than other GM's.

I decided to make this thread, cause well, we all need help at times. Myself included.

So come on in, submit a problem you could use help with, help other GM's, or just look around, maybe some of these ideas can help you out even if you weren't looking for any.

themind

Explorer
I'll start off i guess, hehe.

I need help creating an NPC. I want to make a recurring Villain for my Eberron game, a Death Knight. I want this guy to be a literal thorn in the PC's side. I'm thinking about having him with Paladin levels and then turned to Blackguard, and be about a CR 17 or 18. Basically one of the main luitenants of the BBEG.

As per Nightcloaks great help, back on the old DMF thread, for the next part of my campaign, as the Pc's are heading to the site of their mission, I would like them to be attacked by the Death Knights legions, just to scare them a little, not to kill them.

Although, they dont know it, the PC's are on a quest to free the Death Knights master from imprisonment. They beleive they are collecting artifacts that will free the Mournland from its current state(those familiar with Eberron know what I'm talking about). So the Death Knight doesn't want them dead, just confuse them a little. Make them think that the Order of the Emerald Claw is after them again.

So what do you think I should do with this Death Knight, what kind of Class levels or skills and such should i give it.

capnfro

First Post
Death Knight

Hmmm... Good question. What kind of master does this death knight have? Blackguards are good for death knights. Hexblades make a nice twist on the common death knight as well, if you are using Complete Arcane. Their hexblade curse makes things real interesting. ;)

If you reallly want to throw their head for a loop make him a rogue turned blackguard. There's nothing like getting stabbed in the back for 7d6 damage and then turning around to see this creature with red glowing eyes and chain armor almost grinning at you.

Rapida

First Post
If you want a cool blackguard I think the Hexblade is good. The mettle ability is really nice especially combined with the blackguard's charisma modifier to saving throws.

Okie Dokie, I need help in choosing some items for my PCs. They are about to go into a crypt where they will find some strong magical items and I want them to get something unique. I want the items to be worth around 10,000 gp.
The party consists of the following:
Half-Gold Dragon Human, Paragon Half Dragon/Fighter
Human, Cleric/Divine Disciple of Shaundukal
Wild Elf, Scout
Middle Aged Human, Wizard//Wild Mage

Any suggestions would be appreciated, but the game is tomorrow night(friday night) so speedy replies would be appreciated.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
I've been suffering from DM's block for over a year now. I'd hoped getting the chance to be a player might help, but I've played only a handful of times. The real world keeps getting in the way. I have lots of "little" ideas, but I've lost the energy to bring them to life.

Using a hexblade as the basis for the Death Knight is a great idea! Maybe tack on a level or three of blackguard, and voila! Another good choice would be the Warlock, from Complete Arcane. I mean, their whole schtick is gaining their powers from a dark entity!

Last edited:

capnfro

First Post
Items and stuff

Rapida, are you looking for a unique item to be given out per character or just one unique item?

DMC, Warlocks are fun. If you really want something sick apply the paragon template from ELH to a warlock. The +15 CL for spell-like abilities applies to the invocations and eldritch blast. Mmmm.... things go BOOM!

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
capnfro said:
DMC, Warlocks are fun. If you really want something sick apply the paragon template from ELH to a warlock. The +15 CL for spell-like abilities applies to the invocations and eldritch blast. Mmmm.... things go BOOM!

Hoooweee! That'd blow up REAL GOOD!

Rapida

First Post
I'm looking for one item per person
Right now I'm thinking
Scout gets a bow of radiance from arms and equipment guide, but it can only do daylight 1/day for 5 rounds.
Half Dragon gets some tessilated armor from AEG, with the things that make up the armor be made of dragon statues.
I'm thinking of giving the cleric some kind of sacred shield, a generic good aligned one.
For the wizard I'm probaly gonna throw in a Rod of Wonder

Remove ads