Gnomes and 4E

mkb152

Explorer
Just something I've noticed with some of the low level published adventures is having a number of gnomes (still unaligned apparently) as bad guys in the adventures. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? I haven't seen this many gnomes as bad guys since the last time I played NetHack. ;)

Speaking of which, does anyone know if I'll finally be able to play a gnome illusionist after PHB II? (and no, I don't think the Dragon articles adding illusion spells to the wizard is quite enough; one of the things I liked about 1E was illusionist was a different class).

Last edited:

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the "RAWR! I'm a Monster!" and the love that followed had something to do with that. Plus Gnomes in 4e, are tricky, little fey buggers.

As for Gnome, well already got the MM stats. PHB2 will give a full race write-up for them. Illusionist, best bet is Feylock/Wizard, or you'll have to wait for the fan-speculated Illusionist for the Shadow Power Source, in either PHB3 or PHB4 at best bet. Though who knows perhaps some of the classes in PHB2 will give you what you want just not called a Illusionist and all, perhaps the Bard or Sorcerer (probably not, but you never know).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Given that the Dragon's "illusionist" spells were just attack spells with shadowy descriptors, for the most part, I think it'd be awfully hard to play a recognizable illusionist using them.

Here's hoping that an actual trickster class of some sort shows up at some point.

mkb152

Explorer
4e Feylock = 3e illusionist.

I hope not. What a lame, cryptic name for what once was a signature class. Plus, the 3E illusionist was simply a wizard with an extra spell a level; I don't think anyone else I gamed with ever played one other than me. I'll give the class a chance, however.

At the risk of sounding video-gamey, I would think that you could design an illusionist as a controller class that contains lots of spells which immobilize, etc. groups of enemies.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I hope not. What a lame, cryptic name for what once was a signature class. Plus, the 3E illusionist was simply a wizard with an extra spell a level; I don't think anyone else I gamed with ever played one other than me.
3E gnome illusionist/bard/gnome paragon, right here. (Seriously!)

At the risk of sounding video-gamey, I would think that you could design an illusionist as a controller class that contains lots of spells which immobilize, etc. groups of enemies.
I think that's a good start. I would probably have phantasmal force-style spells that would have multiple preset possible effects (immobilize, confuse, etc.) just to give them the predictability that 4E class powers tend to have.

Rechan

Adventurer
I think that Eberron and their Machiavellian Gnomes, coupled with the gnome's new sneaky invisible bastard image, is helping. I certainly am contemplating gnomes being the stealth enforcers of the Feywild.

On the Illusionist business, I can imagine quite a few "dazed" effects. Since Daze is a rather potent power.

Hawke

Explorer
There's some political intrigue involving a gnome "kingdom" (I need a better word) in the feywild interfering in the mortal plane with some secret dealings with the Eladrin Feywild Kingdom that's currently occupying the mortal plane.

As a result one of the big Heroic villains is a gnome pseudo-illusionist who keeps showing up everywhere. IT's good fun, and he's turning out to be a big time trickster. I hadn't even anticipated using him as a major baddie, just a side character. Turns out roleplaying him as evil, deceptive, and filled with enjoyment of his trickery couldn't be passed up. Maybe that has to do with it... the MM-only forced a lot of us to change our standard paradigms about badguys and usually that sort of stuff makes for the most memorable.

I'm guessing a short quick adventure into a gnome "kingdom" in the feywild as part of some political dealings will come shortly - though I'm terrified about setting it up right and pulling it off to be equally as memorable as the NPC...

Remove ads