D&D 5E Gnomes aren't Fey?

Jediking

Explorer
Okay, well this makes sense - except that Elves have the "fey ancestry" racial feature and gnomes do not. I guess if that just becomes a houserule no other alterations are needed.

Not sure if this has been said, but their "Gnome Cunning" racial trait gives advantage on Wisdom, Charisma, and Intelligence saves vs. magic. So if anyone tries to cast Charm Person, their 'fey origin' can be seen just like Elves.

Sage Genesis

First Post
4e took some time adding them in to the game as fey, remember.

If I may offer a small correction:

Gnomes were immediately fey in 4e. They appear in the Monster Manual as fey. The only thing that 4e took some time with was providing full PC race status to gnomes, but that's not the same as being fey or not.

Satyrn

First Post
If I may offer a small correction:

Gnomes were immediately fey in 4e. They appear in the Monster Manual as fey. The only thing that 4e took some time with was providing full PC race status to gnomes, but that's not the same as being fey or not.

I could have been clearer, yeah. I really meant to say they weren't included as a player race at the start of 4th edition.

jeckyllgeek

First Post
I have a bit of a question on what the point of gnomes are myself. Ever since 3e you could make a halfling illusionist and then what is the question what you really do with gnomes.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I have a bit of a question on what the point of gnomes are myself.
Just think of them as a slightly different flavor of small person with stats that lean toward arcane magic. It's kind of like the elf/human difference, except that elves have a rich literary tradition and gnomes don't. I don't think people would be asking this question if there were some popular novel that laid out gnomish culture in detail.

Ever since 3e you could make a halfling illusionist and then what is the question what you really do with gnomes.
It's easier to make a gnome illusionist than a halfling illusionist in 5E, though. (Forest) gnomes get an INT bonus and the "natural illusionist" feature, while halflings get bonsuses to either CHA or CON.

RotGrub

First Post
Gnomes are not fey creatures. IMO, it was one of those 4e lore changes that just didn't need to happen. If you don't like them being cousins of dwarves why the heck would you make them cousins of elves? Elves are already infested with sub races, half-elves, etc..

Remove ads