D&D 5E Gnomes aren't Fey?

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Were Gnomes ever Fey? I know they were monsters for a while until the Tieflings killed them all for their sweet sweet loot.

Gnomes in the hands of the right storyteller may be the Tyrion Lannister of D&D. They only need the right story.

A faytouched subrace for gnomes and elves, (also goblins!!!) is possible.

The problem is the gnome racial traits are to be spellcaster o stealth classes. Maybe the solution is pack of optional racial traits, for example for barbarian or psionic gnomes.

Erik Westmarch

First Post
They aren't Fey.

In my game I make a distinction between "earthly spirits" and "fey". The earthly spirits are native to the game's primary world and arise from this world's natural environment. They aren't native to anywhere else. They include treants, dryads, naiads, unicorns, etc. They also include gnomes and kobolds. There's basically a range of spirit "manifestations", from the pure spirit (who can only be perceived magically) to the entirely flesh. But they're all tied to one degree or another to the land, water, rocks, etc. from which they arose. Some are tied to their place. Others can go wherever they want.

Fey on the other hand are not natives to this world. They're from the invisible realm that exists right next to ours and is accessible via mushroom circles, fairy mounds, and the like. Elves and goblins are originally from here, along with others.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
They aren't Fey.

In my game I make a distinction between "earthly spirits" and "fey". The earthly spirits are native to the game's primary world and arise from this world's natural environment. They aren't native to anywhere else. They include treants, dryads, naiads, unicorns, etc. They also include gnomes and kobolds. There's basically a range of spirit "manifestations", from the pure spirit (who can only be perceived magically) to the entirely flesh. But they're all tied to one degree or another to the land, water, rocks, etc. from which they arose. Some are tied to their place. Others can go wherever they want.

Fey on the other hand are not natives to this world. They're from the invisible realm that exists right next to ours and is accessible via mushroom circles, fairy mounds, and the like. Elves and goblins are originally from here, along with others.

Same for my campaign.

I love how they've done gnomes in this edition.

I never cared for the pre 3.5e take on gnomes. They just felt like weird quasi-dwarves. 3.5e seemed to more or less give us the rock gnome that 5e has, but for some reason the description of it in 5e appeals to me more than it did in 3.5e. There were forest gnomes prior to 4e, but the only thing I knew about them was the limited sub-entry in the 3.5e MM. 4e isn't my thing, but I liked the feyish take on gnomes. Then 5e comes along and merges the old forest gnomes with the 4e gnome into the most awesome foresty gnome ever. I virtually got giddy going through the section on gnomes+forest gnome. They feel about as feyish as elves, and nothing like dwarves. Perhaps the stories of the gnome race as a whole having a kinship with dwarves are somewhat exaggerated...

In any event, they made forest gnome feyish in feel like they did elves, and they made both of them mechanically humanoid. And they made gnomes awesome.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
My favourite flavours of Gnomes are: Tinker, Titan and Illusionist. Basically they should be either blowing things up, groin stomping or making you think that things are being blown up and groin stomped.

Remove ads