D&D 5E Gnomes/clockwork/making sense of it

Satyrn

First Post
I also think that the inhabitants of my world will see it as a wasteful, pointless whimsy - why waste time making not-very-useful trinkets when you need to be making basic tools or clothes? So they will initially amazed, but then walk away, shaking their heads...

So they will indeed be . . . leaving the gnomes to their own devices csimiamiyeah.gif

(Don't you just hate reruns?)

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Gnomes are magic and their clockwork creations are also magic.

This is how I would resolve it. Either the process to create such small mechanical components requires gnomish magic, or the power source that allows the clockwork trinkets to work is magic.

Additionally, if you really look at what the core of what the clockwork trinkets do, it is in essence a reskinned prestidigitation. So if you don't like these gnomes using clockwork trinkets, if you just give them prestidigitation it is pretty much an equivalent exchange.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
You can also look at it this way: skill with mathematics in the real world is still seen as amazing and something akin to sorcery by many, many people. The fact that they could manage the same level of problem solving if they put their mind to it doesn't mean that they will. Or even that they recognize and/or believe they can.

And gnome clockwork devices are far less useful than mathematics, and far less likely to improve anybody's life if they put in the time.

So in terms of reverse engineering your gnomish devices: has someone done it? Probably. Has someone done it on a mass scale? almost undoubtedly not. Anyone who manages to do it likely also faces resentment and ostracism from their family and community, too; you can bet that not everybody is comfortable with weird devices made by other races. I mean, people in the U.S. were afraid to eat canned food made by Germans during and for a long while after World War II. I don't see why a bunch of medieval-ish peasants would be more open-minded. And if the gnomes are smart, they'd capitalize on that so "gnomish toymaking" would inspire the same sense of (misplaced) awe in your campaign as "German engineering" does to car aficionados here.

Shiroiken

Legend
Just disallow the Rock Gnome. In my campaign, there are no Forest Gnomes in Gygaxian Greyhawk, and the Rock Gnome is really a poor Tinker Gnome. Neither fits my setting, so I took the Forest Gnome, changed +1 Dex to +1 Con and simply called it a Gnome.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Which backs up my point. If you have an entire species of geniuses wandering around showing off their inventions, society isn't going to look anything like a medieval world

It isn't that simple. We think of technological advancement as being inevitable -t hat every good idea that can ever be moves throughout the world quickly as soon as it is discovered. The actual history of technology does not support that view. Gunpowder was first developed in the 9th century (so, somewhere in the 800s), but its first military use was in 1000 AD. So, maybe 150 years later. A combination of it being impure, not having the appropriate metallurgy, and simply not thinking of it meant that gunpowder was a curiosity for a century an more.

Gnome clockworks are small and break easily. It may be that the world does not have the metallurgical skill to make them large enough to do any real useful work.

In D&D worlds, races tend to be pretty isolated. Maybe gnomes are rare in human lands, so there have been few such items in human lads, much less ones that land in the hands of those with the skill to reverse engineer in under the 24 hours before the thing breaks and isn't so useful.

In the real world, making clockworks requires advanced abilities in mathematics, fine measurement and geometry. So, maybe, even if you could make an exact duplicate of one device, it doesn't allow you to generalize and make other, different devices, because the math to make the gears doesn't exist except among the gnomes, and they do it in their heads and arent' teaching anyone else.

You can use *any excuse you want*. Or none at all. If no PC ever asks why, you never have to stipulate why.

ccs

41st lv DM
I'd just steal & reskin a bit of lore from the Warhammer games. 40k in particular.
Orks in 40k make crazy contraptions (mostly weapons), vehicles, even spaceships - that just shouldn't work mechanically. And doesn't when used by other race.

The secret is that the Orks simply believe this stuff should work. So it does.
Heck, they even think painting thier vehicles red makes them "Go Fasta!" And thus it does.
It's pretty much a psionic power.

So you're gnomes ability to craft tiny clockworks is exactly the same.
It's not because the gnomes are smarter than anyone. It's got nothing to do with wether or not other races can replicate the pieces. It's not about how low/high magic your setting is. Or wether the gods exist (though I'd imagine the gnomes might well point to this ability to animate tiny clockwork as proof positive....)

So the answer is simply: Because thier gnomes.

It might be good to also note that wars, plagues, famines, and natural disasters have caused numerous setbacks in the development of societies throughout history.

In a DnD world, it's possible that even after thousands of years of development guided by deities and the like, the most advanced civilizations might still consider the skills needed for complex machinery to be rare and difficult to duplicate/learn.

Conflict can direct the evolution of society in many different directions, backwards and forwards.

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
If we take as example that gunpowder technology took about 1 thousand years to travel from China to Spain we can easily see what you mean. Still resources, knowledge and training by trial and error is going to be needed and ppl are going to want to keep the technology secret si they can be the only ones profiting from them. So yes I agree having thinker gnomes does starts moving the wheel towards industrial progress but it will take a huge smount of time for it to happen. In the mean while you can have many plot events regarding this. Enemy spies, the effects of using it in war, greedy gnomes dont want to share their secrets etc. So the question for you is: is it an issue to keep evolving your world? Even if it takes around 1 thousand years of in game time? I would allow it and see how it goes. Totally can understand if you dont allow it as well it all depends on your goals with the game.

Remove ads