Goblinization Day

Today, April 30th 2021, is the day when 10% of us will change into orks, and trolls.

In Shadowrun lore, this day is known as the start of Goblinization. With no apparent cause, vast swathes of humanity changed into metahumans in front of terrified onlookers.

orks.jpg

Goblinization began on 30 April 2021. On this day many humans (approximately 10% of the world's population), without any evident reason, transformed into Orks and Trolls. In most cases, those humans started changing en masse before the very eyes of horrified spectators, causing much panic and alarm. This event made the population fearful and discriminatory, much more than UGE, meeting metahumanity with hostility and sometimes force.

Riots as a result of Goblinization escalated, especially after the 14th amendment of the UCAS constitution gave the same rights to metahumans, culminated into the Night of Rage in 2039. It has had a negative influence on Japan's metahuman policy, and goblinization is indirectly responsible for the formation of the Humanis Policlub. This event caused the Coffee Famine of 2022.

How many posts before jokes about internet trolls? My bet is 2!

Emerikol

Adventurer
Yeah, I felt really ill in a really weird way earlier and y'know, I was like "Well at least it's probably Goblinization!" and like, now it's 5.15pm here and, I dunno, I'm not still not an orc or anything. It's very disappointing. Maybe by tomorrow morning.
Maybe it's only taken on the inside and it takes time to manifest fully on the outside. I think a lot of the trolls around here likely have that same quality. Makes em harder to identify easily ahead of time.

It's only 10:46 am in Seattle, which is pretty much the center of the universe according to Shadowrun, so there's still time.

Yeah, I felt really ill in a really weird way earlier and y'know, I was like "Well at least it's probably Goblinization!" and like, now it's 5.15pm here and, I dunno, I'm not still not an orc or anything. It's very disappointing. Maybe by tomorrow morning.

Abstruse

Legend
Some quick fun facts about Goblinization:
  • It did not happen all at once, it just started en masse on April 30 with new cases reported over the course of about a month before trickling off to only a handful annually.
  • Goblinization is a days-long painful process where bones grow and rearrange, jaws realign as tusks are grown, horns sprout, bone deposits form under the skin. The most common cause of death related to Goblinization was shock from the pain.
  • There are no "goblins" involved. "Goblinization" was a media term turned mainstream description for orks and trolls. The species known as "goblins" in the Sixth World are unrelated to orks or trolls but are the HMHVV-infected dwarves (HMHVV is the virus that causes vampirism).
  • Ork is spelled with a K, regardless of what Tolkien or my spellcheck tries to say.
  • Elves and dwarves also exist in the Shadowrun world, but they came about from an entirely different process called UGE (Unexplained Genetic Expression) and generally only affected newborns born in 2011 or later.
  • Ork and troll skin tones are the same as "normal" humans. There's no green or grey or other "unnatural" skin coloration in those who goblinize.

Caedrus

Explorer
I remember playing 1e back in 1989 before any of this stuff had come to pass. It was all in the future. Now it’s in the past. Strange, lol.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases