D&D 5E Going from 1st to 5th Edition

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
imagine having to put together a level 15, 3.X character, right at the table because you opened the wrong door... All the skill points and feat chains shenanigans that existed... No time to go for Prestige Class amirite?
Nightmare...

You know what I just realized? You could make a level 15 fighter (champion or brute) in... 3-4 minutes though in 5e? Doable. Heck, if you wanted something a little bit more complex, you could make a battle master or a thief or assassin in less than 10 minutes. And it wouldn't be a great or inspired character, but it would be perfectly adequate. In PF, if you don't already have a build in your back pocket... forget about it. In 5e, auto-pilot made characters are good enough. So you could play it a bit more dangerous if you wanted...

Undrave

Legend
Nightmare...

You know what I just realized? You could make a level 15 fighter (champion or brute) in... 3-4 minutes though in 5e? Doable. Heck, if you wanted something a little bit more complex, you could make a battle master or a thief or assassin in less than 10 minutes. And it wouldn't be a great or inspired character, but it would be perfectly adequate. In PF, if you don't already have a build in your back pocket... forget about it. In 5e, auto-pilot made characters are good enough. So you could play it a bit more dangerous if you wanted...

you could also do a Warlock I bet: you just need Eldrith Blast, Agonizing Blast and good CHA and you can pick the rest of your stuff as the game moves on :p

teitan

Legend
I realize I miss a lot of 3.0. I skipped, unintentionally, 4e and went straight to 5e when it came out. I do miss some of the lethality of 3.0, I started with 1e but 3.0 was/is my favorite edition of the game. I still have a hard time with Attacks of Opportunity in 3.0 vs 5e. Played some Pathfinder for a week or so and forgot how utterly immobile combat is at low levels in 3.x editions!!! I kept trying to play like 5e!

I still have a hard time with Attacks of Opportunity in 3.0 vs 5e. Played some Pathfinder for a week or so and forgot how utterly immobile combat is at low levels in 3.x editions!!! I kept trying to play like 5e!

Yeah, one thing I really like about PF2 is it removed OAs as default for all, only some classes and monsters have them.

I have house-ruled that over to 5th Ed (only the Fighter has OAs as a 1st level class feature, and certain monsters).

Your statement requires an understanding of the word desire (an understanding I, personally, lack). Desire is a concept that continuously mystifies me. I understand people desire different things. But the origins and awakenings of desire - why someone desires one thing and not another - alludes me. Unfortunately my knowledge of psychology and neuroscience is lacking.

"Is this the human emotion you call empathy?"

Voadam

Legend
Spectres was a weird shift in 5e. Going from high HD energy drainers more powerful than wraiths and just below vampires down to the incorporeal equivalent of zombies was a tonally jarring downgrade.

The whole handling of incorporeal and energy drain was weird. The contrast of having nonmagical steel arrows do half damage to ghosts but nothing to werewolves adds to the weirdness.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Spectres was a weird shift in 5e. Going from high HD energy drainers more powerful than wraiths and just below vampires down to the incorporeal equivalent of zombies was a tonally jarring downgrade.

The whole handling of incorporeal and energy drain was weird. The contrast of having nonmagical steel arrows do half damage to ghosts but nothing to werewolves adds to the weirdness.
Yeah, this is one of the things that I constantly consider tinkering with.

Remove ads