D&D 4E Going/Not Going to 4E which edition did you start with?

Emirikol

Adventurer
I started with
ddbox.jpg

I got the blue box later that xmas 1981. In 1983 my grandparents bought me the new-cover 1E hardcovers (all 5)..but planned on giving them to me one at a time..I remember whining (like a typical spoiled rotton American child) until they gave me at least the PHB, DMG and MM. FF and DtDG came later (my birthday).

x446.jpg

I had already been exposed to D&D by another kid in Webelos (Boy Scouts) and was hooked. I've tried, but never got into computer games or mmrororoopggaga's:
250px-ADNDTarmin.jpg

Although, I know I'll be playing 4E at some point, I'm hoping that with the tightening up of the OGL license that other companies will become a bit more ingenious again and start putting out different systems. D&D's fine, but I think the mental-inbreeding of a single-system-to-rule-the-world has it's drawbacks (at least for me).

jh

Last edited:

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
Editions

Started with the Red Box Set sometime in the mid 80s (I was like 5 or 6, which is scary!!) and bought into 2nd Edition, 3rd Edition and 3.5 pretty much as soon as they were available.

3E, however, REALLY pulled me into the game due to customization and the axing of niggling bits like max levels for demihumans and, well, the word "demihumans," to name but a scant few things. I'd been playing Vampire and GURPS for quite a bit before 3E came out, but once 3E was out, I rarely looked back to those games.

My players are pretty set in their ways, so who knows if/when we'll make the big switch to 4E, but I'm definitely interested in checking 4E out and playing it on my own if they don't care to follow.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I started with 2e in 1998 (I was in 7th grade at the time). We started playing 3e and 3.5 as soon as they were released. I recently started running my D&D style games with M&M 2e after playing around with Iron Heroes a bit. I expect to either convert to 4e or stay with M&M.

Last edited:

started with red box (1984), switchde in about 3 months to 1st edition wich is the most played on my part, done a few years of 2nd edition, took the 3rd edition core book and a few others

going to swich to 4th edition, sound much more what I want from D&D :)

kennew142

First Post
I started with OD&D (white box) in 1978, then moved to AD&D in 1980. I played (and ran) 2e intermittently, but flirted with HERO, Runequest and GURPS for most of the 1990s. I even spent some time on the convention circuit running demos of GURPS (it's how I got anout 1/4 of my collection). 3e brought me back to D&D full time. It seemed to fix so many problems I had with earlier editions. I didn't think too much about the over-crunchiness of the rules at the time (I was coming from GURPS after all), but I had begun to feel oppressed by the mechanics of 3e witin the last few years.

I was considering running a heavily houseruled version of basic D&D (which I had read and played, but never run), when the 4e announcement came out. I was angry at first, but then checked out Bo9S and SWSE (and I HATE all things Star Wars!). I fell in love with what appears to be direction of 4e. I have liked most of the fluff we've seen and almost all of the mechanics. The only real exception has been the level limit on rings (although I may ignore that) and the 1-1-1-1 diagonals. We're going to give that one a try for a while in our various games and see how it plays out.

My group is definitely going to 4e.

1) We like the feel and what we've seen of the mechanics.

2) We want to teach our children the newest version of the game so that they will be more likely to be able to play with their friends.

3) We have grown very dissatisfied with 3e, especially with high level play.

4) We go to a lot of conventions and want to be able to run/play easily.

5) As fate would have it, all but one of our many D&D 3e campaign were reaching a natural concluding point at the same time. Most will be done before 4e comes out; the remainder shortly thereafter.

edemaitre

Explorer
D&D past and future

I started playing Dungeons & Dragons with the boxed set in 1982, when I was a freshman in high school. I later played and ran AD&D1, AD&D2, and D&D3x/D20, as well as other systems, ranging from Palladium to Storyteller to GURPS. I've generally been an early adopter, and while I still have nostalgia for the style and particular books of earlier editions, I fully expect to update my long-running homebrew campaign world to D&D4e.

Sure, each edition brings its own problems, and "code bloat" and rules barnacles eventually accrue, but each new version has also been more logical and helped me find new gamers.

Kirnon_Bhale

Explorer
Started with Basic in '86? I was very young 7 or 8. In high school moved to 2nd edition. I read first but never played. Then came the drought - sadly it continues. I however bought into 3.5 about 2 years ago and plan on moving on to 4e as soon as possible.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I started with Bluebook Expert (Bill Willingham or something cover, I think? the dude who loved bell-bottoms) in 1981 or so, then went to the Redbook Basic (yes, in that order; my first dungeons had lots of giant scorpions and vampires, but no orcs or dragons ... ), then to Mentzger Basic, then to 1E AD&D, then to 1E AD&D with different covers, then to 2E AD&D, then dropped D&D completely sometime around the Complete Nosepicker's Handbook in, oh, 1993 or 1994, then came back to 3E D&D, then upgraded to 3.5 D&D.

I hope to come back to 5E or 6E, because 4E isn't getting any of my money.

Remove ads