Going Nuclear:1D&D

mamba

Legend
That’s the risk when those 3pp base their businesses on the product of another business. Of course they then become affected by it. That not just the fault of WOTC but of the 3pp that made their business models so dependent on their business model.
and by ‘business model’ you mean ‘an actual contract that WotC told them was irrevocable’

mamba

Legend
There seems to be an idea that anything mechanical can’t be copyrighted and some people seem to think this covers things like hit points.
oh, there is no doubt hit points are not covered…

To my mind. You shouldn’t be able to make a clone of D&D without WotC’s permission now that they have revoked their consent.
they cannot revoke consent, there is a binding license. Anything else requires a court to sort out, but they clearly said it is irrevocable and now they shove 3pps under the bus because they think those are to weak to do anything about it. Nothing else is happening here

TheSword

Legend
and by ‘business model’ you mean ‘an actual contract that WotC told them was irrevocable’

oh, there is no doubt hit points are not covered…

they cannot revoke consent, there is a binding license. Anything else requires a court to sort out, but they clearly said it is irrevocable and now they shove 3pps under the bus because they think those are to weak to do anything about it. Nothing else is happening here

Kobold Press is not trying to violate a contract because the other party does not have enough money to fight it
I’m glad you’re so certain of the law. WotC has compromised. If 3pp want to clone D&D and refuse to budge, I guess we’ll find out if you’re right. With all the consequences that brings.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
There are lots of grey areas and crossovers that the OGL does cover. It isn’t just beholders and flumphs. There seems to be an idea that anything mechanical can’t be copyrighted and some people seem to think this covers things like hit points. I’m not going to get into a debate about it they a mechanic are are they an expression of a mechanic. The mechanics can’t be copyrighted itself is untested in RPGs as has been discussed. I’m sure WotC would aim for a wide net of IP.

To my mind. You shouldn’t be able to make a clone of D&D without WotC’s permission now that they have revoked their consent. That’s just where I stand on it. I know lots of people disagree with me, but that also has been done to death to.
They haven't revoked their consent yet, and in my opinion, they don't have that right.

Art Waring

halozix.com
To my mind. You shouldn’t be able to make a clone of D&D without WotC’s permission now that they have revoked their consent. That’s just where I stand on it. I know lots of people disagree with me, but that also has been done to death to.
It was a mutual agreement for more than twenty years. That's good faith broken on a scale that is to me pretty severe. Seeing the damage inflicted on small businesses is something I guess you are ok with.

Remove ads