Going Nuclear:1D&D

delericho

Legend
Gonna phrase this as politely as I can. Specifically I'm advocating burning 1D&D down to the ground and all the D&D branding. Thus includes online play, the movie, video games, new edition everything. If you play MtG you can make your own decisions.

Essentially boycott everything WotC/D&D related. If you're feeling motivated throw in Hasbro and MtG related.
Given that D&D is now a lifestyle brand, I don't think a boycott will really hurt them - as long as you remain engaged with D&D in any form, you're helping them.

So you'd need to stop playing any edition (switch to another game entirely, and obnoxiously correct anyone who refers to it as 'D&D'). And only ever speak about D&D in a negative light.

The one thing most likely to hurt them is to consistently refer to the upcoming movie as a "crappy remake" - as far as possible, tie it to the cinematic abomination of the 2000's. (It helps that the director of that one is credited as a producer here.)

The problem being, of course, that to be successful you would need to damage the brand, and that may not be desirable.

One last thing: I do think any talk of "going nuclear" is still premature. It's just about possible, although unfortunately I think unlikely, that WotC will reverse course on this. So I would be inclined to wait until Friday before doing anything drastic.

Zardnaar

Legend
Given that D&D is now a lifestyle brand, I don't think a boycott will really hurt them - as long as you remain engaged with D&D in any form, you're helping them.

So you'd need to stop playing any edition (switch to another game entirely, and obnoxiously correct anyone who refers to it as 'D&D'). And only ever speak about D&D in a negative light.

The one thing most likely to hurt them is to consistently refer to the upcoming movie as a "crappy remake" - as far as possible, tie it to the cinematic abomination of the 2000's. (It helps that the director of that one is credited as a producer here.)

The problem being, of course, that to be successful you would need to damage the brand, and that may not be desirable.

One last thing: I do think any talk of "going nuclear" is still premature. It's just about possible, although unfortunately I think unlikely, that WotC will reverse course on this. So I would be inclined to wait until Friday before doing anything drastic.

Well the lifestyle brand is pixie dust and wishes atm.

Probably should have included if true in OP.

Stormonu

Legend
I intend to do what I've kept doing for years. Buy what I like and not buy what I don't. I don't have any loyalty to the company, just to the product as far as it meets my needs.

I've already said multiple times I'm not going to a new edition. If that is what OneD&D becomes, I won't be picking it up. If it remains the "same edition" but none of it grabs my fancy, I won't buy it - and will probably cancel my Beyond subscription if the content is no longer of any use. If WotC stops 3rd party creators, I'll just make my own. In the end, I have enough content already to last me for the next two or three lifetimes.

D&D has been wonderful that they've opened their system up for others to play in, but it hasn't always been that way - and a lot of other games aren't open like D&D. Not having 3pp won't stop me from buying D&D product if it's good, but a lot of 3pp has been better than WotC's of late, so WotC would have to up their game if they want my money.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Boycotting is not the best way. Just deal with them like we did TSR from the 90. Have small time independents pirate everything.

Sure other big corporations like Kobold Press and Paizo will suffer for this, but that will open the door for a lot more from less established and offshore corporations.
Mod Note:

Piracy or advocating piracy is not permitted on ENWorld.

Gonna phrase this as politely as I can. Specifically I'm advocating burning 1D&D down to the ground and all the D&D branding. This includes online play, the movie, video games, new edition everything. If you play MtG you can make your own decisions.

Essentially boycott everything WotC/D&D related. If you're feeling motivated throw in Hasbro and MtG related.

And do it across all forms of social media, reddit, YouTube etc.

For me last time around it was Paizo this time around it's Kobold Press and everyone else.

Just remember monetization means nothing good.

Crush the 1.1, see them crumble before you, and to hear the lamentations of their CEO.
No.

What you mean by "last time around it was Paizo" ? I stuck with 4e back then, it is in fact my favorite version of the game by a huge margin. I will stick with the new 2024 edition now too.

I'm sure there's plenty of people away from the internet who feels the same. So, hard nope. I will keep playing Dungeons and Dragons just like one been doing since the 90s.

By the way, people keep putting Kobold Press on a high pedestal, but personally I find their Tome of Beasts atrocious. No 3pp for me and my table. Thank you.

Zardnaar

Legend
No.

What you mean by "last time around it was Paizo" ? I stuck with 4e back then, it is in fact my favorite version of the game by a huge margin. I will stick with the new 2024 edition now too.

I'm sure there's plenty of people away from the internet who feels the same. So, hard nope. I will keep playing Dungeons and Dragons just like one been doing since the 90s.

By the way, people keep putting Kobold Press on a high pedestal, but personally I find their Tome of Beasts atrocious. No 3pp for me and my table. Thank you.

I cared about Paizo last time around this time I don't in terms of I use their product and want them to do well.

Nevertheless I want them to hang around subject to anything self inflicted they do.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Because I want to?

Do you only ever listen to your favorite song? Do you only ever eat your favorite food? What kind of question is that? What are you trying to prove?
I'm not the person you replied to, so I can't speak for them. But at least for me, those comparisons are flawed because a game system is not a single experience, it is a spectrum of possible experiences. It's not a single song, heck it isn't even a single band, it's a genre. It's not a single dish, or even a common ingredient, it's a cuisine. There are nigh-infinite variations within "4e D&D"--or any edition, it's nothing special about 4e. We've had people explicitly say that already with regard to 5e, that the material they already have is more than enough to keep them going for years and years.

B/X is my second favorite, BTW. That doesn't stop me from playing 5e too.
I mean, I wouldn't expect it to. But if there's something that has become negative about a given thing, one would think that switching to one's favorite (once it makes sense to do so) would be a reasonable response. Moreso than fully sticking to the now-problematic thing regardless of the problem, I mean.

I'm not the person you replied to, so I can't speak for them. But at least for me, those comparisons are flawed because a game system is not a single experience, it is a spectrum of possible experiences. It's not a single song, heck it isn't even a single band, it's a genre. It's not a single dish, or even a common ingredient, it's a cuisine. There are nigh-infinite variations within "4e D&D"--or any edition, it's nothing special about 4e. We've had people explicitly say that already with regard to 5e, that the material they already have is more than enough to keep them going for years and years.

I mean, I wouldn't expect it to. But if there's something that has become negative about a given thing, one would think that switching to one's favorite (once it makes sense to do so) would be a reasonable response. Moreso than fully sticking to the now-problematic thing regardless of the problem, I mean.
Yes, but I don't see anything negative about One D&D. I don't know how this conversation got to this point.

Remove ads