Going Nuclear:1D&D

ok, so what are you doing about the Ukraine war? Or is this just something you wave in front of our eyes to distract us…
unless anyone has an uncle that owes them one and happens to be incharge of Russia I'm not sure there is anything we CAN do about the war... we can help survivors and people hurt by it but even if every enworld poster got up tomorrow got on a plane went and fought for the Ukraine it would be very little change...

mamba

Legend
unless anyone has an uncle that owes them one and happens to be incharge of Russia I'm not sure there is anything we CAN do about the war... we can help survivors and people hurt by it but even if every enworld poster got up tomorrow got on a plane went and fought for the Ukraine it would be very little change...
yeah, I include donating to Ukraine, helping refugees, boycotting russian products, etc. in this, clearly we will not affect the war directly

Scribe

Legend
Whataboutism would be if I said "why boycott Hasbro when what Blizzard did is just as bad?" An accusation that trivial matters are exaggerated in importance, and that passion to right wrongs can be better channeled elsewhere entirely isn't "whataboutism".
It costs me literally nothing, to not support a predatory, morally bankrupt, lip service paying, talk out both sides of your mouth, corporate parasite. Indeed, it allows me to save money, or put it towards a company or individual I feel is more worthy of support

That they Wizards has exposed themselves for what they really are (as I have suspected for quite some time) is simply the icing on the cake.

I really wish that I had the same faith you do in my fellow players of D&D. based on some reactions so far I am not sure.
For me, I understand the upset some posters are feeling, but it's just overwhelming all other discussions here. I understand having a few threads discussing this, but do we need a dozen or so clogging up the top part of the page, crowding out all the other topics for discussion?

Michael Linke

Adventurer
I mean I assume we all have our own ranking of what edition we like best... I did go out of the way to say it's how I feel.

I don't think they were spending that much time on it... as they playtested new races and classes and watched other players (maybe even some on here) they came up with fixes.

I think you are overselling what was going on with new feats, new feedback and trying to dial in the best possible game.

if they would just come out and admit that balance doesn't work for them I would respect them more.

and again I do not agree with YOUR feelings
I thought I remember an article, possibly in Dragon+, where Mearls said that the bloat of errata had gotten out of hand, and he was specifically tasked with reducing the amount of resources spent on errata for 4e releases, which he planned to do through a combination of better play testing, looser design, and less focus on symetrical balance, which I think in part led to Essentials.

Michael Linke

Adventurer
to not support a predatory, morally bankrupt, lip service paying, talk out both sides of your mouth, corporate parasite.
This is exactly the stuff i'm complaining about. Nothing about this situation speaks to morality. You could argue there that the alteration of the license is unethical. But immoral? The eliminationist rhetoric (parasite) is maybe excusable provided we are specifically talking about WotC the corporation, but I think too often people equate corporations with at least SOME of the people in charge at them.

Scribe

Legend
This is exactly the stuff i'm complaining about. Nothing about this situation speaks to morality. You could argue there that the alteration of the license is unethical. But immoral? The eliminationist rhetoric (parasite) is maybe excusable provided we are specifically talking about WotC the corporation, but I think too often people equate corporations with at least SOME of the people in charge at them.

Everything about this indicates that the corporation of WotC/Hasbro, feels its entitled to suppress competition (it is!) extract profit from third parties (it is!) and essentially bully anyone within the RPG space that wants to interact with their IP of D&D.

All of which is fine, and fair for them to do.

They are perfectly entitled to act like a petty villain from an Adventure someone else writes for them. Perfectly Lawful, perfectly Evil.

No problem.

Just dont try and tell me that they are inclusive, and support the social movement of the day, while they are trampling on the lives and careers of people who depended upon the good faith nature of the license they (Wizards!) created. :)

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
It cracks me up. This forum has been 80% D&D 5e for the last 3-5 years. I’ve lost track of the number of people who have said they can’t find Folks to play any other game than 5e.

Basically if all the people that say they’re boycotting 5e and One D&D, actual do… then it’s going to be awfully quiet around here.
I won't touch 6e, or anything further that WotC makes, but I'm still going to play my mostly Level Up-based homebrew.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases