D&D (2024) Gold & Other Treasure (Can we get off the treadmill?)

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
The APs I've read certainly seem to want to be played that way: you travel from adventure site A to adventure site B, sure, but the book doesn't give you much if anything to fill that gap.
WOTC or Paizo? I ask because im more familiar with Paizos and they are chock full of setting goodness. A lot of folks actually complain that its not enough dungeon and too much readin.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
The average blacksmith making a radiant weapon is definitely much different than silver-plating a weapon.
even if it's essentially just plating the same weapon with a different kind of metal, if there's mythril and adamantite in the fantasy world is a 'radiant metal' so out there?

and there are the blacksmiths out there who must make all the other superior magic weapons making one that just deals a damage type should be comparatively easy right?

edit: and if it's the kind of world where a wizard can research new spells in any given library why is it so different when the fighter's getting magic weapons forged at the blacksmiths so different

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
even if it's essentially just plating the same weapon with a different kind of metal, if there's mythril and adamantite in the fantasy world is a 'radiant metal' so out there?
Ah, there's the disconnect.

I don't think "radiant metal" is a thing in most fantasy worlds. Instead, weapons like this are the result of magical processes, like summoning celestials to help forge a weapon, or materials obtained from different planes, etc.

If, on the other hand, Radiantium is just a normal metal on the periodic table, then sure, maybe a regular blacksmith could do it.

But again, I think that requires a non-standard fantasy world.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Ah, there's the disconnect.

I don't think "radiant metal" is a thing in most fantasy worlds. Instead, weapons like this are the result of magical processes, like summoning celestials to help forge a weapon, or materials obtained from different planes, etc.

If, on the other hand, Radiantium is just a normal metal on the periodic table, then sure, maybe a regular blacksmith could do it.

But again, I think that requires a non-standard fantasy world.
i mean, radiant metal was just the first thing i jumped to, it was close enough to what silver does/is, and you basically just said it yourself: you can get this kind of thing made if you've got the right materials, your character brings a scale from a crystal dragon or a feather from a celestial monster maybe they just shell out the cash for the smith to source the materials themselves and bam give em some time to work and you've got a radiant weapon, there used to be something similar with magic items in 4e wasn't there? just bring apropriately themed materials and you can make whatever magic item you want,

i'm not trying to argue here but i don't think this is quite as uncommon an idea as you seemed to make it out to be? smiths in fantasy worlds being able to craft/enchant magical weapons for people, and possibly getting too stuck on the specific mention of radiant weapons specifically?

Gosh, as a kid I remember looking at the red box cover art by Larry Elmore and thinking, "That's alot* (sic) of gold, probably all of the gold in the world."

1000004006.jpg

And, then it happened again in the new millennium with The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies.

1000004007.jpg

I've had a couple of scenes like this in games where I tried to say it's all just really shiny copper, but that's not satisfying. Anybody else ever try that?

* As a kid I didn't know this was supposed to be two words.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
i'm not trying to argue here but i don't think this is quite as uncommon an idea as you seemed to make it out to be? smiths in fantasy worlds being able to craft/enchant magical weapons for people, and possibly getting too stuck on the specific mention of radiant weapons specifically?
I don't think we're arguing. I think that it just depends on how mundane magic is in a setting.

This is something that would be 100% unsurprising in Eberron, for instance. It would be out of place, IMO, in Oerth. You're probably right that there are more home games operating at a high magic level nowadays than in a low one.

Last edited:

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Gosh, as a kid I remember looking at the red box cover art by Larry Elmore and thinking, "That's alot* (sic) of gold, probably all of the gold in the world."

View attachment 334145

And, then it happened again in the new millennium with The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies.

View attachment 334146

I've had a couple of scenes like this in games where I tried to say it's all just really shiny copper, but that's not satisfying. Anybody else ever try that?

* As a kid I didn't know this was supposed to be two words.
Pfft, Smaug is a tryhard. THIS is a dragon hoard!
reddragon.jpg

Remove ads