Golem Master PrC - brand spankin' new!

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Work in progress...

Golem Master

Many wizards create creatures, automatons, made by the hands of men and given a semblance of life by magic. While the creation of these creatures is both expensive and spiritually draining, some learn to harness the power of their creations, taking what was once a simple guardian and making it a partner

Hit Dice: d4

Prerequisites
Feats: Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Magic Arms and Armor
Skills: Craft (sculpting) 4 ranks, Craft (metalworking, weaponsmithing, woodworking, gemcutting, or armorsmith) 4 ranks.
Special: Must have created a golem.
Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 6th level arcane spells.

Class Skills: Alchemy (Int), Appraise (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (all skills purchased separately) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill points per level: 2 + Int mod per level

Lvl...BAB...Fort...Ref...Will...Special...Spellcasting
1.....+0....+0.....+0....+2.....Magical Artisan (Golems)...+1 spellcaster level
2.....+1....+0.....+0....+3....Golem Control
3.....+1....+1.....+1....+3....+1 spellcaster level
4.....+2....+1.....+1....+4....Golem Eyes
5.....+2....+1.....+1....+5....Golem Body...+1 spellcaster level

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: The Golem Master gains no new armor or weapon proficiencies.

Magical Artisan (Golems): Whenever the Golem Master creates a golem, when determining the cost in XP and raw materials for creation, multiply the base price by 75%.

Golem Control: The Golem Master never loses control over any golem he has created (they have no chance of going berserk). In addition, a Golem Master may attempt to control golems he had not created. When he encounters a golem, he can force that golem to make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 Golem Master levels (round down) + Int mod). If the golem fails, it will obey the commands of the Golem Master for 1 round/Golem Master level. If the golem has a controller, the controller must make the Will save to avoid losing control of the golem. The controller can reattempt the Will save each round. 3/day. (Sp)

Golem Eyes: By adding two gems into the eyes of a golem the Golem Master has made, he can see through the eyes of the golem. To see through the eyes, all a golem master must do is close his own eyes and will to see through the eyes of a particular golem of his creation. Switching from seeing through his own eyes to seeing through a golem's is a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity.

To add the gems to a golem during creation requires two 100gp gems. This is added into the base price for the golem's creation. It adds a week onto the creation time. To retrofit a golem the Golem Master has made prior to gaining this ability requires two 200gp gems, 8XP, and a week-long ritual similar to golem creation (must work for 8 hours per day, can only talk, eat, and sleep during that time or the ritual is ruined, XP is lost, and it must be done again).

Golem Body: A Golem Master can merge his own body with that of a Golem of his own creation. It lasts for 10 minutes/Golem Master level and the Golem Master can fit into any golem he has created, regardless of the size. The golem can contain the caster and up to 100lbs of gear touching him, though he can chose to leave items out when he merges if he chooses. The Golem Master effectively becomes the golem, wearing it's body as his own. He must be touching the golem to use this ability, and it requires a standard action to activate. He may voluntarily exit the golem at any point, appearing in the nearest empty square.

He has the golem's Strength and Dexterity, and uses the golem's hit points, but retains his own Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma. He has the golem's base speed, BAB, damage, special attacks, and special qualities (not counting the berserk special attack, and the Golem Master is subject to mind-influencing effects while in the golem). He may cast spells, but the casting from the golem's body is difficult, and carries a 35% arcane spell failure. He must also have access to components, if necessary, to cast those spells. If the golem's hit point are reduced by 75% or more, the Golem Master is expelled forcibly for 5d6 points of damage to his own body. He cannot enter the golem again until it is healed or repaired above 25% of its maximum hit points. Usable 1/day. (Sp)

Ok, I don't know if that's balanced, and I'm sure there's still some questions to be answered. Please pick it apart so I can make it better! :)

Last edited:

Airwolf

First Post
Wow. I would love to give you some creative criticism but I don’t see anything I don’t like. When I first read through the list of abilities, I thought “hmm, maybe a little powerful”. Then I realized that the character would have to be at least 11th level to even qualify for this class. Good work!

karn smackdrim

First Post
sounds pretty sweet but I think to make it balanced it would have to be a 7th level prestige and golem body at 7th level. But overall GREAT IDEA!

Last edited:

Privateer

First Post
Ray Silver said:
[
Golem Control: If the golem has a controller, the controller must make the Will save to avoid losing control of the golem. The controller can reattempt the Will save each round. 3/day. (Sp)
[/B]

Hmmm... by controller, do you mean present controller, living controller, or someone activly giving instructions to the golem in question?

One more thing: if this class is taken, the character must be 19th level :eek: before he can make any of the MM Golems!

I also find it odd that a character that has never made a golem can become a "Golem Master."

Otherwise, the abilities are well balanced and described; you should have been one of the people working on the WotC splatbooks :D

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
For the controller bit, I meant a present, active controller giving orders.

For the golem bit, one of the requirements of this class is that you must have made a golem. Several of the abilities related to golems you have created, so if you haven't made one, what would be the point?

Besides, golems are, for the most part, very powerful creatures. I wouldn't feel comfortable giving out these kinds of powers to anything but high level characters.

As for me writing the WotC splatbooks - that would be cool! Thanks for the complement. :D

Remove ads