• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Goliath Monk: Which Unarmed Damage?

mvincent

Explorer
From the 3.5 FAQ (if desired):
"Does the powerful build racial trait change the damage
the character deals with unarmed strikes and natural
weapons?

No. The powerful build racial trait allows the character to
“use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without
penalty” but doesn’t say anything about changing the damage
dealt by his unarmed strikes or natural weapons."

Machiavelli

First Post
Okay... so he wears two Large sets of brass knuckles, gauntlets, etc...

If you want to obey the letter of the law, fine, but it won't actually hinder a Goliath monk.

satori01

First Post
You can make a strained argument from this line:

A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons

frankly it is not even worth the bother. The Ultimate effect is not really that big of a deal. I've had an AE Giant/Monk in a game before w/ INA, still could not outdamage a two handed weapon and power attack.

boolean

Explorer
cignus_pfaccari said:
One could fairly easily slip in a substitution level to do that. Maybe exchange Still Mind for it, and note clearly that it overlaps with Improved Natural Attack (Monk), so it doesn't stack. That way, she's not out the feat, but she gets a benefit from the Powerful Build ability. I mean, she could use a Large Kama, but that's just silly.
I'd consider allowing a goliath to take INA as a bonus feat, replacing either the 1st or 2nd level bonus feat. (If I felt lenient I'd allow the player to choose it at either level. If I didn't, they'd have to take it as the 1st level feat.)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
satori01 said:
You can make a strained argument from this line:

A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons

Not really. Take a manufactured weapon. Put it in the hands of someone with Powerful Build. Does Powerful Build enhance or improve that manufactured weapon in any way?

-Hyp.

UltimaGabe

First Post
Hammerhead said:
No, but it makes the decision to play a Goliath Monk pretty bad, compared to a Goliath Barbarian or the like. Why not allow it? If he were any kind of martial character except for a monk, he'd be doing more damage with his attacks.

Then again, what if the player wanted to play a Goliath Sorcerer? Would his Fireball deal d8s instead of d6s?

In other words, just because one race is better suited for one class doesn't mean it has to be suited for other classes.

-UG

Kmart Kommando

First Post
While it doesn't look that bad to allow it, wait until he acquires a Monk's Belt, takes Improved Natural Attack, and Superior Unarmed Strike. +2 size categories and +8 effective Monk levels adds up to one hell of a pimp slap. Like 4d8 by 9th level, and that's not even pushing it. You know they're gonna do it. You don't pick a Goliath for fluff and role-playing.

Drowbane

First Post
Kmart Kommando said:
While it doesn't look that bad to allow it, wait until he acquires a Monk's Belt, takes Improved Natural Attack, and Superior Unarmed Strike. +2 size categories and +8 9 effective Monk levels adds up to one hell of a pimp slap. Like 4d8 by 9th level, and that's not even pushing it. You know they're gonna do it. You don't pick a Goliath for fluff and role-playing.
QFT

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads