• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Goliath Monk: Which Unarmed Damage?

findar

First Post
Ok. I have a friend that just joined my game that is playing a goliath monk. Goliaths are from Races of Stone. Here is my question:

Does the goliath's Powerful Build mean that the character uses the unarmed damage chart for Large monks?

Powerful build allows the goliath to function in many ways like it is one size catagory larger. This includes wielding Large sized weapons. So does this mean that goliaths get better damage to thier unarmed strikes.

glass

(he, him)
Just to be contrary...

No. Powerful Build allows you to wield larger weapons, but it doesn't actually make any given weapon any larger.

A medium character with Powerful Build wielding a medium longsword does normal damage. Unarmed strike is no different from a longsword in this context.

glass.

Last edited:

Gnome

First Post
By the letter of the rules - no. As a DM I'd likely allow it, since it would be an equivalent gain that other fighting classes get for choosing this race, so I don't see the harm in allowing it for the Goliath monk. Same applies to a Goliath soulknife IMO.

Flynn

First Post
From the SRD (please let me know if the goliath version is different from the half-giant version):

Powerful Build (Ex)
The physical stature of half-giants lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a half-giant is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the half-giant is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A half-giant is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A half-giant can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

Let's see... is unarmed combat an opposed check? Nope, so that part is out. Is his own unarmed combat something that can affect him? Nope, that's dished out to others. Is unarmed combat a weapon designed for a creature one size larger? Nope, it's his own natural weapon.

Seems to me that powerful build would not apply to unarmed strike damage.

Now, that being said, if you want to allow it in your game, it would probably be alright. It will create a pretty nasty monk, of course, but if you are already okay with the larger weapon damage being present in the player's hands, then you're probably okay with the increased unarmed combat damage.

With Regards,
Flynn

kayn99

First Post
If you have to be careful allowing it. The next logical step of the player is to see if the feat improve natural weapons will apply. Now you will have monk's hand damage 2 catagories larger. You have to look at it from all directions; allowing something is ok, but you have to make sure you do not end up introuble 3 levels from now.

Kayn

Remove ads