• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

good forced to do evil?

Felix

Explorer
Re: What Harry Said

This also sounds similar to the way they handled summon spells in those terrible Magic:TG books WotC put out round about 1994. Centaurs ripped from their home and thrust into a wizard's duel... Gosh those books were terrible... :)

shilsen

Adventurer
Henry said:
I have this really weird thought of the PC's, in the middle of an adventure, just being plucked from nowhere by a powerful variant of summon monster, deposited in the middle of a fight, being compelled to fight in a battle by a powerful evil wizard, possibly even dying, then instantly transported right back where they were, all wounds healed, and wondering what the hell just happened. :)

I'm going to get back to DM-ing in a couple weeks time, and I've been planning to implement the above concept for a long time.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
Particle_Man said:
How bound are such good summoned creatures to obey these commands?
Well your evil Wizard has it under control for caster level rounds, after that it goes away.

Better hope it doesn't have any planer jumping abilities, or other means of tracking you down...

Great way to make enemies though.

nimisgod

LEW Judge
shilsen said:
I'm going to get back to DM-ing in a couple weeks time, and I've been planning to implement the above concept for a long time.

I'll pretend I didn't read that then... Too bad I'm playing a paladin. :D

Last edited:

jeffsforehead

First Post
This also sounds similar to the way they handled summon spells in those terrible Magic:TG books WotC put out round about 1994. Centaurs ripped from their home and thrust into a wizard's duel... Gosh those books were terrible...

Hahaha, I loved those books so much when I was in third grade. Oh man. My friends and I had such fun with Magic. Those books rocked. Even though they were complete doggerel.

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
diaglo said:
the only description in the spell that may refute this use is:

but the rest of the spell says it attacks as you direct. so they may do it but they won't be happy. ;)
That only matters if you're a cleric. Arcane casters are free to summon anything they want.

Serpenteye

First Post
Arravis said:
Celestial creatures have Celestials friends...
Outer-planar creatures tend to be part of a chain of command, if a celestial is used for evil deeds, I'm certain he'll tell his boss, and if the offense is foul enough, he'll tell his boss, etc... then the offending caster will get a visit . So, as a DM, this kind of situation is fairly easy to resolve ... muhahaha!

I doubt that any sapient creature of any alignment would be very pleased to be summoned and enslaved for 1rd/caster level, regardless of the casters alignment or orders. Unless they happen to serve the same god there is likely to be repercussions if the summoned creature is powerful enough, Celestials seem rather arrogant and would likely be gravely offended to be forced to serve a mere mortal.
It seems quite common for DMs to penalise evil PCs who meddle with powerful forces of good, one little offense and the entire celestial host comes down to smite them. Conversely, good PCs can get away with murder and only face challenges equal to or below their CR, and many DMs fudge the dies so that the PCs are practically immortal, :( , it's just not fair. ;)

(ok, that's an exaggeration, but many DMs have a strong bias towards good)

Last edited:

Silver Moon

Adventurer
I'd say "yes". Blurring that thing line between what is good/what is evil has happened several times in our game. In a recent module the party of mostly good aligned characters went on a quest for he evil god Nerull to accomplish a "greater good", namely his agreeing to abandon their particular world.

Remove ads