• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

good forced to do evil?

Particle_Man

Explorer
Could an evil wizard use the Summon Monster spells to summon good celestial creatures (a good act) but then command them to do evil things (torture innocent people, etc.)? How bound are such good summoned creatures to obey these commands?

diaglo

Adventurer
the only description in the spell that may refute this use is:
from the SRD: When you use a summoning spell to summon an air, chaotic, earth, evil, fire, good, lawful, or water creature, it is a spell of that type.

but the rest of the spell says it attacks as you direct. so they may do it but they won't be happy. ;)

Kyramus

First Post
That's an interesting thought.

I could just picture an evil wizard casing summon spells and calling up celestial beings to defend his base of operations that's being overrun by undead by a rival necromancer.

:)

Henry

Autoexreginated
I have this really weird thought of the PC's, in the middle of an adventure, just being plucked from nowhere by a powerful variant of summon monster, deposited in the middle of a fight, being compelled to fight in a battle by a powerful evil wizard, possibly even dying, then instantly transported right back where they were, all wounds healed, and wondering what the hell just happened. :)

Li Shenron

Legend
Particle_Man said:
Could an evil wizard use the Summon Monster spells to summon good celestial creatures (a good act) but then command them to do evil things (torture innocent people, etc.)? How bound are such good summoned creatures to obey these commands?

Yes he could.

They will be totally bounded for the duration of the spell, and as long as they can understand his commands.

Li Shenron

Legend
Henry said:
I have this really weird thought of the PC's, in the middle of an adventure, just being plucked from nowhere by a powerful variant of summon monster, deposited in the middle of a fight, being compelled to fight in a battle by a powerful evil wizard, possibly even dying, then instantly transported right back where they were, all wounds healed, and wondering what the hell just happened. :)

I had the same exact idea ;) It came out to me because I was thinking of a campaign (I may be back to DMing soon) with all MotP planes to use, just because they are all cool. But since I don't like that there are so many outer planes, I took the 8 "intermediate" outer planes and turn them into alternate material planes. I didn't want to mess up with all the Summon spells, so I just though it would be possible to summon either outsiders or creatures from alternate material planes (after all, it's "summon monster" not "summon outsider"). Next thought was of course that from now on the PCs may be summoned themselves to another material plane :cool:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I think as a DM I would be very careful here. It comes down to the doing, would a celestial creatures go about performing the task the way the commander thought or try to direct the outcome. It is the 'becareful what you wish for' loopholes.

Arravis

First Post
Celestial creatures have Celestials friends...
Outer-planar creatures tend to be part of a chain of command, if a celestial is used for evil deeds, I'm certain he'll tell his boss, and if the offense is foul enough, he'll tell his boss, etc... then the offending caster will get a visit ;). So, as a DM, this kind of situation is fairly easy to resolve :)... muhahaha!

Last edited:

Richards

Legend
Originally posted by Henry:
I have this really weird thought of the PC's, in the middle of an adventure, just being plucked from nowhere by a powerful variant of summon monster, deposited in the middle of a fight, being compelled to fight in a battle by a powerful evil wizard, possibly even dying, then instantly transported right back where they were, all wounds healed, and wondering what the hell just happened.
There was actually an AD&D 2nd Edition mini-adventure in Dungeon Magazine based on this very concept. If memory serves, it was called "Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow" - I think a lock of the PC's hair was a material component for the "greater" version of the summoning spell in question.

Johnathan

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads