• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Good Introductory 5E Adventure?

Nebulous

Legend
As others before me have said the Lost Mines of Phandelver is a pretty good starting adventure and requires minimal-to-no DM prep work which is what you want initially for a new group/campaign. Something easy and light.

Lost Mine of Phandelver hands down, it's great. We're at the very end of it now in the last dungeon, and only one death (somehow).

Nebulous

Legend
Any way I can get my hands on it without buying the starter set (I waited and bought all the hardcover books as they came out)?

Hmm, that's a very good question. I don't think it is sold without the box and the starter rules, but maybe someone online wants to sell it separate? Would you settle for a pdf or prefer hardcopy?

The starter set is only $12.00 from Amazon. That's pretty good for a 5 level adventure module, a nice box to store notes in, and a set of dice. The nice pregen character sheets can be named and used as NPCs.

Iosue

Legend
The rulebook is also a handy table aid. Good for when people want to check equipment lists, conditions, spells or other rules when there aren't enough PHBs to go round. I have all 3 Core Books as well, and I haven't regretted my Starter Set purchase at all.

Nebulous

Legend
The starter set is only $12.00 from Amazon. That's pretty good for a 5 level adventure module, a nice box to store notes in, and a set of dice. The nice pregen character sheets can be named and used as NPCs.

Aw, hell, it was that cheap? That's a no brainer, that's like giving it away.

Gotta say, @Werebat, if you haven't picked up the Starter Set for Lost Mine of Phandelver, you've been missing out. It's a hell of a strong intro adventure.

Also, since you've got all the hardbacks I don't expect you'll use the pregens, but I recommend you give them a look anyway. Each pregen's background is integrated into the adventure in a way that generates even deeper story hooks for the players.

EDIT: The Starter Set is usually pretty damn cheap if you order online, but even if you pay $25 retail, you've still spent your money on more value than WotDQ.

Nebulous

Legend
Gotta say, @Werebat, if you haven't picked up the Starter Set for Lost Mine of Phandelver, you've been missing out. It's a hell of a strong intro adventure.

Also, since you've got all the hardbacks I don't expect you'll use the pregens, but I recommend you give them a look anyway. Each pregen's background is integrated into the adventure in a way that generates even deeper story hooks for the players.

EDIT: The Starter Set is usually pretty damn cheap if you order online, but even if you pay $25 retail, you've still spent your money on more value than WotDQ.

What he said, Werebat. Even if you do create new characters, you can use the pre-gen backgrounds to integrate into the storyline, it makes it more fun. I honestly can't recommend it enough, it's been fun.

Gecko85

Explorer
Another vote for Starter Set/Lost Mines of Phandelver. For me, I will go so far to say I think it's the best starter set module ever released, surpassing even Keep on the Borderlands. It really is a fantastic introduction to 5e.

Werebat

Explorer
So from what I'm hearing, LMoP > HotDQ -- at least for the purposes of introducing a group of old-timers to 5E. That about right?

Maybe I'll order the Starter Set from Amazon and find some -- ahem -- other method of tracking down a pdf of LMoP.

Nothing in the SS books contradicts anything in the actual rules?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads