Good Modern Systems

I'm talking about serious, probably crunchy, systems with a high lethality that intend to portray WW2-present day era combat.

Not junk like Modern d20, Shadowpunk, Cybderpunk, or the 'action movie' drek.

There's Twilight 2000 series (4th Ed is not bad) and the spinoff, War Stories.
Behind Enemy Lines (a bit clunky)
Millennium's End (Promising, but incomplete).
Phoenix Command
Delta Green (too streamlined for my taste)
Coc 7e (Not bad)
Friday Night Firefight

Honorable mention
Aces & Eights (Not modern, but great for 1860-WW1)

ADDED: EABA, GURPS.

Any I'm missing?

Last edited:

innerdude

Legend
GURPS, obviously, if that's to taste, which it isn't for me.

If I were serious about the type of system you're describing, I'd take a good, hard look at EABA, or its predecessor CORPS.

Last edited:

Committed Hero

Adventurer
Delta Green is nearly identical to CoC 7th edition and literally has a mechanic called Lethality.

I would mention others but if you think DG is too streamlined, you won't be interested.

Delta Green is nearly identical to CoC 7th edition and literally has a mechanic called Lethality.

I would mention others but if you think DG is too streamlined, you won't be interested.
The big difference between CoC and DG is that DG has a better method of modifying rolls, but also the awful Lethality rule.

It's a good rule for automatic weapons fire, which will involve practically all of modern firearms combat. What do you dislike about Lethality?
Its a terrible rule. It seeks to simplify combat to an abstract.

Its a joke, in terms of full auto, and it leaves no provision for single, aimed fire or short aimed bursts, which are the backbone of modern combat.

GURPS isn’t perfect of everything but it does do deadly modern era shooting pretty well. Range, movement, cover, aiming, called shots, hit locations, single shot to fully automatic covered, explosive rules that aren’t just a blast template and single damage value, critical hits, long recovery times for regular health let alone actual wound. Infection rules, blood loss and so on. Use as many or few as you want to get the game you want.

If VTT is a concern the GURPS game aid for Foundry works. GURPS GCS character creator is free and is actually useful as well.

GURPS isn’t perfect of everything but it does do deadly modern era shooting pretty well. Range, movement, cover, aiming, called shots, hit locations, single shot to fully automatic covered, explosive rules that aren’t just a blast template and single damage value, critical hits, long recovery times for regular health let alone actual wound. Infection rules, blood loss and so on. Use as many or few as you want to get the game you want.

If VTT is a concern the GURPS game aid for Foundry works. GURPS GCS character creator is free and is actually useful as well.
I use Roll20, which does support GURPs.

I've looked at GURPS, and while it has high production values, the system does not thrill me. I'll take another look.

MGibster

Legend
Its a terrible rule. It seeks to simplify combat to an abstract.
I got'cha. DG as a whole is too abstract for what you're looking for. I notice you took Cyberpunk off your list, but I think it has a lot of what you're looking for. At least Cyberpunk 2020 does, I'd avoid Cyberpunk Red. In 2020, things like your facing, cover, and range matters are great deal.

I'm going to echo GURPS. It's one of those systems you can make more or less granular as you see fit. If you're looking for modern warfighters from WWII through today, GURPS might be a good fit for you.

I got'cha. DG as a whole is too abstract for what you're looking for. I notice you took Cyberpunk off your list, but I think it has a lot of what you're looking for. At least Cyberpunk 2020 does, I'd avoid Cyberpunk Red. In 2020, things like your facing, cover, and range matters are great deal.

I'm going to echo GURPS. It's one of those systems you can make more or less granular as you see fit. If you're looking for modern warfighters from WWII through today, GURPS might be a good fit for you.
Friday Night Firefight is the combat system for CP. It is good.

Remove ads