Good Modern Systems

4e is the current edition. There’s about 90% compatibility between 3e and 4e and most 3e sourcebooks can be used without to many issues. There’s a pretty vast 4e book collection though.

For strictly mundane modern-ish gun battles, the two core books (Characters and Campaign), High Tech (gear sourcebook), and maybe Tactical Shooting (depending on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go) will get you more than you’ll ever get need I’d bet.

4e is the current edition. There’s about 90% compatibility between 3e and 4e and most 3e sourcebooks can be used without to many issues. There’s a pretty vast 4e book collection though.

For strictly mundane modern-ish gun battles, the two core books (Characters and Campaign), High Tech (gear sourcebook), and maybe Tactical Shooting (depending on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go) will get you more than you’ll ever get need I’d bet.
I will go as far as the hole leads. I've run multiple campaigns using Phoenix Campaign or Rolemaster.

aramis erak

Legend
I'm talking about serious, probably crunchy, systems with a high lethality that intend to portray WW2-present day era combat.

Not junk like Modern d20, Shadowpunk, Cybderpunk, or the 'action movie' drek.

There's Twilight 2000 series (4th Ed is not bad) and the spinoff, War Stories.
Behind Enemy Lines (a bit clunky)
Millennium's End (Promising, but incomplete).
Phoenix Command
Delta Green (too streamlined for my taste)
Coc 7e (Not bad)
Friday Night Firefight

Honorable mention
Aces & Eights (Not modern, but great for 1860-WW1)

ADDED: EABA, GURPS.

Any I'm missing?
CORPS. The original, or its second edition, not the EABA worldbook. Coupled with it's supplement VDS and the More Guns Guns Guns, it's got plenty of modeled accuracy of firearms. Including the posibility of a One Shot Kill without a One Shot Stop, and vice versa. Just enforce the skill caps if you want realism.

dbm

Savage!
I haven’t used it personally, but there is an entire WWII line for GURPS 3e.

I would agree that 4e is marginally better than 3e, and I seem to remember that guns in general got quite a bit of clean-up with the edition change so that might be beneficial. Running 3e stuff with 4e rules is pretty straightforwards, too.

Committed Hero

Adventurer
Its a joke, in terms of full auto, and it leaves no provision for single, aimed fire or short aimed bursts, which are the backbone of modern combat.

It's obviously not your bag, but rules that differentiate the use of modern weapons are on page 56 of the Agent's Handbook (single shot, short/long burst, short/long spray).

Remove ads