Good source for fun traps?

Metallian

First Post
I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a good online source of d20/D&D-appropriate (preferably with 3e stats) traps...mechanical and magical. I've looked at the famous "Netbook of Traps" and similar older sources, and they've left me kind of cold.

I'm looking for interesting and fun (for the players and the DM) traps more than anything else. I've been GMing other games for years, and I don't have a lot of experience with traditional dungeon crawling and wacky D&D-style traps, so I'm finding this rather difficult. Utilitarian traps are easy...creative, grossly impractical traps are hard!

(Before anyone mentions it, I tried to buy Traps and Treachery last weekend but none of my local stores had it...I can't order it because my game is this Friday and I blew my RPG budget on Song and Silence and FRMM instead. I'll get it next time, though.)

The Metallian

Crothian

First Post
Well, you mentioned the two best sources for traps: Traps and Treachery and Song and Silence. I agree Grimthouths is the best way to go at this point if you can find them. I think they've been out of print for a while.

How mant traps do you need? I'm sure the creative minds on these boards can create some rather odd ones for you....

gnfnrf

First Post
Metallian said:
I've looked at the famous "Netbook of Traps" and similar older sources, and they've left me kind of cold.

*sniffle*

The Netbook of Traps woulda been better if anyone had ever submitted anything...

--
gnfnrf

Metallian

First Post
Crothian said:
Well, you mentioned the two best sources for traps: Traps and Treachery and Song and Silence. I agree Grimthouths is the best way to go at this point if you can find them. I think they've been out of print for a while.

How mant traps do you need? I'm sure the creative minds on these boards can create some rather odd ones for you....

Hmmm...something like 5-10. I probably won't actually need 10, but it'd give me some to choose from. The idea is that they are breaking into the secret lair/laboratory of a long-dead evil aristocratic wizard. The lair is currently under a swamp and very damp/partially flooded. A few features I'm thinking of...

1) Some of them require at least a little magic in order to pass safely.
2) Would be trivial for a high-level arcane spellcaster to bypass, but difficult for others.
3) Maybe one that requires a Knowledge (Arcane) or Spellcraft roll in order to get a useful hint.

Amusing things like important trap components being invisible, or illusioned, or whatever might be fun. I have never used a lot of traps in my games, so I don't know what else might be fun. I think I'm more interested in creative (without being too contrived, like computer game puzzles) solutions than in creative ways to mangle the PCs. *That* much I can come up with myself. =)

The Metallian

Number47

First Post
Here's some great, time-honored traps:

Girlfriend/wife asks
  • Why do you love me?
  • Do you think my friend Michelle is pretty?
  • Do these jeans make me look fat?
  • Noticing anything different?

Oh, did you mean traps for a D&D game?

Rashak Mani

First Post
HAHAHA !!! Please keep to traps were Reflex save will help you and not a Wil / Bullsh*t save ! These are too damn dangerous:

>Here's some great, time-honored traps:

>Girlfriend/wife asks
>Why do you love me?
>Do you think my friend Michelle is pretty?
>Do these jeans make me look fat?
>Noticing anything different?

Last edited:

The Kender

First Post
Well, I found this on a site somewhere

One of the doors has a magical fist behind it. When a player tries to open or break down the door, the fist flies out and punches the character doing X ammount of damage. The door is otherwise un-openable. The only way to get past is to knock on the door. Then the hand will open the door for the characters.

I'm evil }:)

Remove ads