D&D 5E Goodman Games is Reincarnating Castle Amber

The new installment in the Original Adventures Reincarnated line has been announced and it is X2 - Castle Amber. They fled from the far-flung land of Averoigne: the Amber family, a bloodline of wizards and warriors persecuted for their dark sorcery and occult crimes. In their new world, they built a lavish manor for themselves, the fabulous Castle Amber. For a time, the Ambers flourished...

OAR 5.jpg

The new installment in the Original Adventures Reincarnated line has been announced and it is X2 - Castle Amber.

They fled from the far-flung land of Averoigne: the Amber family, a bloodline of wizards and warriors persecuted for their dark sorcery and occult crimes. In their new world, they built a lavish manor for themselves, the fabulous Castle Amber. For a time, the Ambers flourished, their magical and military might having little equal. Then, however, jealousy and murder struck the heart of the family and the Curse of Stephen Amber descended upon the castle like a fell and heavy hand. Now, the Ambers dwell beyond space and time, imprisoned with their monstrously transformed servants and suffering under the family’s dead patriarch’s death-sent doom.

It is into this mad manor that the party awakens, plucked from their homeworld and imprisoned in the heart of Castle Amber. To escape, the heroes must negotiate a path through the insane Amber family home, overcoming the clan’s machinations, dangerous servants, cunning traps, and bizarre phenomena. Only by finding a way to break the Curse of Stephen Amber will the party be able to return home. Failure means a lifetime of imprisonment in Castle Amber, a place where lifetimes can be very short indeed…

No worries, and thanks! I've not read it, run it, or played it, but I haven't gone this long without learning a bit about it here and there.

I put some of my post into spoiler tags, as you were the second person along with @Weiley31 to say you were not familiar with X2 . Sorry if I ruined anything for either of you :(

pcrotteau

Explorer
She was my FIRST!! (still have a beat up copy)

That said- Here's something I think would be very clever to do if I were GG-X2 is one of the only (if not THE only) classic modules that has a cover that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the interior of the module. I would love to see an expansion of Averoigne that puts the cover scene into an adventure.

And actually (I soooo hate being that guy)
The cover depicts the colossus that the characters have to face to gain the viper-circled mirror (pg 21)

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Whelp, now I'm three behind in Goodman Games's OAR series. I love books 1 and 2 but I'm suffering from 5e gaming content fatigue and am trying not to buy cool books just for the sake of buying them. Still....

Wish this would also include the AD&D 2E Return to Castle Amber. And a paragraph or two explaining its location in Mystara (along with suggestions for placement in the other D&D Worlds). And a map showing where Old Averoigne is located in France (i.e. fictional replacement for the province of Auvergne). And a bibliography of the C.A.S. Averoigne Cycle of stories. :)

Remove ads

Remove ads