D&D 5E Goodman Games is Reincarnating Castle Amber

OAR 5.jpg

The new installment in the Original Adventures Reincarnated line has been announced and it is X2 - Castle Amber.

They fled from the far-flung land of Averoigne: the Amber family, a bloodline of wizards and warriors persecuted for their dark sorcery and occult crimes. In their new world, they built a lavish manor for themselves, the fabulous Castle Amber. For a time, the Ambers flourished, their magical and military might having little equal. Then, however, jealousy and murder struck the heart of the family and the Curse of Stephen Amber descended upon the castle like a fell and heavy hand. Now, the Ambers dwell beyond space and time, imprisoned with their monstrously transformed servants and suffering under the family’s dead patriarch’s death-sent doom.

It is into this mad manor that the party awakens, plucked from their homeworld and imprisoned in the heart of Castle Amber. To escape, the heroes must negotiate a path through the insane Amber family home, overcoming the clan’s machinations, dangerous servants, cunning traps, and bizarre phenomena. Only by finding a way to break the Curse of Stephen Amber will the party be able to return home. Failure means a lifetime of imprisonment in Castle Amber, a place where lifetimes can be very short indeed…

Last edited by a moderator:

It's always a bittersweet moment.

On the one hand, it's great that X2 (perhaps my all-time single favorite module) is getting the Goodman Games treatment!

On the other hand, it's sad that this means that WoTC had no plans to reboot/reuse/recycle X2.

On the third hand, I think I have a strange mutation that is trying to strangle me.
It's difficult to see how it would fit in a WotC book - it's such a one off oddity it even includes it's own campaign setting!

Paragon Lost

Terminally Lost
Snagged B1 Into the Borderlands from my LFGS and really enjoyed it, brought back fun memories. Problem, I then wanted to snag a pdf copy and can't seem to find it via Drivethrurpg or at Goodman games. :/ This, is a problem in my opinion. Anyone have any luck finding it on Drivethrurpg or Goodman games? I'm hoping I was just having search stupidity issues.

JeffB

Legend
Snagged B1 Into the Borderlands from my LFGS and really enjoyed it, brought back fun memories. Problem, I then wanted to snag a pdf copy and can't seem to find it via Drivethrurpg or at Goodman games. :/ This, is a problem in my opinion. Anyone have any luck finding it on Drivethrurpg or Goodman games? I'm hoping I was just having search stupidity issues.
No PDFs per the contract.

Same with the JG reprints which kept me from supporting the KS for those.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Unfortunately, there is no PDF version available. Goodman Games doesn't have the license to publish one and WotC doesn't seem interested.

Paragon Lost

Terminally Lost
Did a Google search on lark and found a reply from Goodman games that I missed under their FAQ.

Q: Will the book be available in PDF format?

Yes! It will be released in both print and PDF. (NOTE! Since this article was originally posted we have learned that Goodman Games does NOT have the rights to produce a PDF version of Into the Borderlands. We do apologize for any confusion this might have caused.)

Really dislike that about DnD 5e.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine

Yup, I had the EXACT SAME reaction with Barrier Peaks with the exact same results. Which sucks since what made/makes Barrier Peaks so good is all the images you get with the original module; and the OAR adds another 15-20 images. It was those new images I'd love to have in pdf. If you remember the original S3 Barrier Peaks gave you a separate saddle-stitched booklet with all the images, which was very easy to use at the table. The new 500page tome from GGG makes showing to players nowhere as easy to do.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The original versions of all these OAR adventures (and the adventures in Yawning Portal, for that matter) are available at DMs Guild. If, like me, you wouldn't want to run the Tomb of Horrors or Expedition to the Barrier Peaks without the images, they're available in PDF form as a separate purchase.

At a guess, I'd say that WotC doesn't want the current versions to be pirated by making them easily available in PDF. (They are available, of course, but rarely in high quality and lots of people don't want to go to sketchy subreddits to find them.)

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
The original versions of all these OAR adventures (and the adventures in Yawning Portal, for that matter) are available at DMs Guild. If, like me, you wouldn't want to run the Tomb of Horrors or Expedition to the Barrier Peaks without the images, they're available in PDF form as a separate purchase.

At a guess, I'd say that WotC doesn't want the current versions to be pirated by making them easily available in PDF. (They are available, of course, but rarely in high quality and lots of people don't want to go to sketchy subreddits to find them.)

Yes, but what I am saying is the NEW images provided with the Barrier Peaks OAR are not available in any way (afaik) in electronic format.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases