• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Goonalan's- Forges of the Mountain King PC- Dwarves Only

Walking Dad

First Post
Just an idea:

weapon expertise increases your damage when you have CA and increases your chance to hit. Maybe worth more than just the damage of weapon focus.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
[MENTION=16069]Goonalan[/MENTION]: Please give this a look-see. I'm too sleepy to add the gear, but I think everything else is there.

Played by Herobizkit (filling in for ripjames)
Dwarf Rogue Level 1

Perception: +9 Insight: +4 Low-light Vision

AC 15 Fortitude 13 Reflex 15 Will 12
Initiative: +3 Speed: 5
Str 16 Con 14 Dex 16 Int 8 Wis 14 Cha 10

Hit Points: 26 / 26 Bloodied: 13
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Healing Surge: 6 Surges per day: 9 / 9

Resist:
Saving Throw: +5 vs Poison.

Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1 (Minor Action)

Languages: Common, Dwarven.

Trained Skills: Acrobatics +8, Athletics +8, Dungeoneering +9, Perception +7, Stealth +8, Thievery +8.
Other Skills: Arcana -1, Bluff +0, Diplomacy +0, Endurance +5, Heal +2, History -1, Insight +2, Intimidate +0, Nature +2, Religion -1, Streetwise 0.

Feat(s): Weapon Focus (Light Blades)

Dwarf Traits:
Languages: Common, Dwarven

Skill Bonuses: +2 Dungeoneering, +2 Endurance

Cast-Iron Stomach: +5 racial bonus to saving throws against poison.

Dwarven Resilience: You can use your second wind as a minor action instead of a standard action.

Dwarven Weapon Proficiency: You gain proficiency with the throwing hammer and the warhammer.

Encumbered Speed: You move at your normal speed even when it would normally be reduced by armor or a heavy load. Other effects that limit speed (such as difficult terrain or magical effects) affect you normally.

Stand Your Ground: When an effect forces you to move—through a pull, a push, or a slide—you can move 1 square less than the effect specifies. This means an effect that normally pulls, pushes, or slides a target 1 square does not force you to move unless you want to.

In addition, when an attack would knock you prone, you can immediately make a saving throw to avoid falling prone.

Standard Actions:
Melee Basic Attack (Dagger): +7 vs AC, 1d4+4 damage.
Melee Basic Attack (Shortsword): +6 vs AC, 1d6+4 damage.
Ranged Basic Attack (Dagger): +7 vs AC, 1d4+4 damage. Range 5/10.
Ranged Basic Attack (Shuriken): +6 vs AC, 1d6+4 damage. Range 6/12.
First Strike: At the start of an encounter, you have combat advantage against any creatures that have not yet acted in that encounter.

Rogue Tactics: Brutal Scoundrel - You gain a bonus to Sneak Attack damage equal to your Strength modifier (+3).

Rogue Weapon Talent: When you wield a shuriken, your weapon damage die increases by one size (1d6). When you wield a dagger, you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls.

Sneak Attack: Once per round, when you have combat advantage against an enemy and hit that enemy with an attack that uses a crossbow, a light blade, or a sling, the attack deals 2d6 extra damage. If you have dealt Sneak Attack damage since the start of your turn, you cannot deal it again until the start of your next turn. You decide whether to apply the extra damage after making
the damage roll.
At-Will Powers: Standard Action.
Deft Strike: (Melee or Ranged; crossbow, light blade, sling) Dex vs AC, 1[W]+4 (+3 with crossbow or sling).
Riposte Strike: (Melee; light blade) Dex vs AC, 1[W] +4. If the target attacks you before the start of your next turn, you make your riposte against the target as an immediate interrupt: a Str vs AC attack that deals 1[W] +4 damage.

Encounter Powers
Second Wind (minor action): Healing Surge & +2 to all Defences until end of next turn.
Dazing Strike (standard action): (Melee, light blade) Dex vs AC, 1[W] +4 and the target is dazed until the end of your next turn.

Daily Powers
Easy Target: (Melee or Ranged; crossbow, light blade, sling) Dex vs AC, 2[W] +4 (+3 with crossbow or sling), and the target is slowed and grants combat advantage to you (save ends both).

Miss: Half damage, and the target grants combat advantage to you until the end of your next turn.

Condition

Right, here we go

1) I used the point buy system and replicated your stats in the character builder and still had one point left to spend- I therefore made Cha 11.

You need to know that a PC should get as close as they can to an '18' even at 1st level- 4e is like that. I DM two PBP- 75% of the 12 characters have an '18' in one stats- two of them have an '18' in two stats, and two of them have a '20' in one stat- it's not unheard of.

That said you can stick with what you've got of course, if you're going to change then do you realise that Dwarves now start with +2 racial bonus in Con, and another +2 in either Strength or Wisdom- my point you don't have to take high Wisdom.

2) Weapon Focus is not going to serve you at lower levels, an extra 1 damage versus Weapon Expertise, an extra +1 To Hit is... Remember 4e you can change a skill/feat/power at each level so you can swap them out- and get Weapon Focus later, at low levels you want to find any power which will increase your chance to hit- not hitting is the biggest cause of death and frustration.

3) The only crossbow a Thief can use is the Hand Crossbow- things may have changed since the PH, sorry- but there it is.

That said with your build above (with only one change- Weapon Expertise for Weapon Focus), I get (and these are different to yours (you haven't added the weapon bonus' in on your To Hits for your powers)-

Melee Basic Attack
Dagger +8 1d4+3

Ranged Basic Attack
Dagger +8 1d4+3
Shuriken +7 1d6+3
Hand Crossbow +5 1d6+3

Deft Strike (Melee or Ranged)
Dagger +8 1d4+3
Shuriken +7 1d6+3
Hand Crossbow +5 1d6+3

Riposte Strike (Melee)
Dagger +8 1d4+3- Riposte attack (same)

Dazing Strike (Melee)
Dagger +8 1d4+3

Easy Target (Melee or Ranged)
Dagger +8 2d4+3
Shuriken +7 2d6+3
Hand Crossbow +5 2d6+3

Which are okay, with your original Weapon Expertise then you do +1 damage on dagger and shuriken, but are -1 to hit for both.

If you wanted to improve again the I would change your starting stats to-

Str 15 Con 14 Dex 18 Int 8 Wis 11 Cha 10

The negatives-

Sneak Attack damage would be -1 so 2d6+2, your Riposte Strike (on the second attack only) would be Dagger +7 1d4+2

The positives- added to the above build-

Melee Basic Attack
Dagger +7 1d4+2

Ranged Basic Attack
Dagger +9 1d4+4
Shuriken +9 1d6+4
Hand Crossbow +6 1d6+4

Deft Strike (Melee or Ranged)
Dagger +9 1d4+4
Shuriken +8 1d6+4
Hand Crossbow +6 1d6+4

Riposte Strike (Melee)
Dagger +9 1d4+4- Riposte attack +7 1d4+2

Dazing Strike (Melee)
Dagger +9 1d4+4

Easy Target (Melee or Ranged)
Dagger +9 2d4+4
Shuriken +8 2d6+4
Hand Crossbow +6 2d6+4

Which seems... well, you decide- remember your To Hit and your damage is your Dex Bonus- nothing to do with Strength- except for your Melee Basic Attack with Dagger (I have a 13th Level Rogue who has used his MBA three times in 18 months of play).

Your Defences also change to AC 16 Fort 12 Ref 16 Will 10

The last thing is you've picked brutal scoundrel, and then not picked any of the powers that go with brutal scoundrel (not that there are many), which is odd- you've put lots of effort in to getting yout strength to 16 and the only benefit I can see is +3 damage on your Sneak Attack and a decent Riposte Strike (which is a very minor power).

Part of the problem is of course that with the Character Builder there are a dozen more At Wills, Encounters and Daily Powers available to you...

The best Daily in the book at first level is of course Blinding Barrage, but that's just my opinion- Burst 3, that's up to 9 bad guys. Thrown/Missile weapon- on my build +9 Dagger +8 Shuriken +6 Hand Crossbow.

On a Hit damage- Dagger 2d4+4, Shuriken or Crossbow 2d6+4 and they are Blind till the end of your next turn- that's automatic Combat Advantage to everyone...

On a Miss- Half damage.

I've seen Paragon Level Rogues using Blinding Barrage still- particularly with magical weapons when they're critting on 18-20, +18 To Hit and doing 2d4+11 damage.

Sorry for all of this but I'm a completist, if you ask the question you'll get all of the answer.

Cheers PDR

Walking Dad

First Post
Light Blade Expertise (HotFL p. 315) also gives a +1 damage bonus with Combat Advantage. It is strictly better than Weapon Expertise (Light Blades).
Both the hit and the damage bonus scales with the tiers (+2 from 11th level,...)

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Light Blade Expertise (HotFL p. 315) also gives a +1 damage bonus with Combat Advantage. It is strictly better than Weapon Expertise (Light Blades).
Both the hit and the damage bonus scales with the tiers (+2 from 11th level,...)

Indeed it does

Light Blade Expertise
Benefit: You gain a +1 feat bonus to weapon attack rolls that you make with a light blade. In addition, you gain a +1 bonus to the damage rolls of weapon attacks that you make with a light blade against a creature granting combat advantage to you. Both of these bonuses increase to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
To be fair, the only book I've used is the Core PHB (sans errata) because I thought the only book we were allowed to use was the Core PHB. I haven't even heard of a few of the resources you've mentioned.

And true, I don't have access to the Character Builder. Perhaps I should. It's a damn shame you need to pay per month to get access to it, though.

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
To be fair, the only book I've used is the Core PHB (sans errata) because I thought the only book we were allowed to use was the Core PHB. I haven't even heard of a few of the resources you've mentioned.

And true, I don't have access to the Character Builder. Perhaps I should. It's a damn shame you need to pay per month to get access to it, though.

That's okay, no problems- all Kazz has is the PH too.

You can use any books that you want, there are no rules, as long as it's 4e.

Mardred is yours now (or at least the new build will be when you get him to level 2).

Build what you like- I'm just telling you everyhting I know...

Cheers PDR

Herobizkit

Adventurer
... when I start hearing "you have to" instead of "it's fun to", I get a sinking feeling.

I will probably invest in the CB, but won't have it until Friday or so (dang CC payments).

It's tough to pick a feat when you only get one and the list is so huge... AND that +1 is SO IMPORTANT compared to how games used to be. :)

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
... when I start hearing "you have to" instead of "it's fun to", I get a sinking feeling.

I will probably invest in the CB, but won't have it until Friday or so (dang CC payments).

It's tough to pick a feat when you only get one and the list is so huge... AND that +1 is SO IMPORTANT compared to how games used to be. :)

I know what you are saying, I've played every version of D&D- I was there with my (original) Red Box at the end of the 70s, start of the 80s.

That said I'm not one for the rose-tinted spectacles, my first PC was ambushed on the way to the dungeon and died- one blow from a Kobold club and my 3 HP Wizard was toast- my boon companions ran off. I served as supper for three Kobolds that nearly bested our group of three adventurers.

Once in to the dungeon in those orignal games, and we spent a lot of time in the dungeon, we went through characters like they were the disposable heroes of our imagination- it wasn't unheard of for every player at the table (and there were some big tables) to have to reroll a new character in a session.

Gandalf the III, begat Gandalf IV, and so on.

The only way we found to counter this was to populate these dark places as if they were palaces- magic items stood idly by, the best roll of an encounter came when the DM consulted the treasure table and we all became weighed down with our Axes of Dwarven Lords...

It was fun of course- but the balance was shot to hell, particularly the early editions- most sessions we either all died or none of us died, there was very little inbetween.

And then it got Crunchy with 2e and beyond, and we had realms to wander, and third party publishers with alternative takes on what fantasy meant.

And Greyhawk was beautiful.

The dungeons were still insane, remember the madness of the S-series, dungeons that would take months to play through, even for dedicated gamers that did little else.

And yet still we died, or else grew bored of not dying and retired our adeventuring Lords to run pubs or live in isolation in towers.

Third edition reignited the flame, and perhaps for the longest time- for me, all was well in D&D land. Save the bickering about Grapples and AoO, and the interminable amount of time spent figuring out what the saving throw was for the 9 HP Hobgoblin for half-damage versus Articjoke's Freezing Pants of Anhilation...

And then the players got to about 15th level and a whole evening would pass by just trying to play through one encounter, in which the DM was often accompanied by a stack of crunch books slightly taller than me, and were we using the Wilderness Companions new Environmental Dangers tables as it had been raining now for three days and surely someone should make a 'flood check'. And oh we did sigh as our friends became experts and much less interesting- there was always a rule that was counter to the last rule that...

And then 4e came along, and brightened my day, it's not D&D (as was) it's wargamers society with figures and maps and... the balance feels about right, the combat is too long, but- I get grappling, and AoO, and all the little rules fit in to place.

Don't get me wrong, I have enough rules now- I'm done, but that dead horse wont flog itself.

I love 4e, I can say that because at the start I hated it- hated it with a passion, but you have to have strong feelings to get to hate, the same sort of feelings that get you to love.

I love it because I can see it- on a map, in a compendium, we can talk about interpretation but... it's containable, gatherable- the rules are in one place and it works. I know that B happens if I do A, in previous editions I would have to look stuff up, not because I'm stupid but because there always seemed to be so many rules to handle.

In short I agree, DDi is a pain in the ass, but my shopping habits have changed completely- I'm not well off, I make my money. Back in 3e I used to spend £100/month (sometimes more) on D&D. Last count I have something over 5000 WOTC minis, I used to import and export them as a side-line, I have unopened booster packs (or whatever they used to call them)- lots of them, over 50 certainly. I sold my AD&D/2e and previous collection on e-bay about 5 years agon, I made £4,500. I have 20+ crates of 3e stuff in storage, all of the Dungeon magazines, and every piece of crunch and scenario I could lay my hands on- I'd say 90% of all 3.x scenarios ever published- I spent far too much money on it.

And now... now I have my subscription, and every now and then something new comes out- and I buy everything.

But on time spent, I spend far too much of my time now with my hobby, before I had loads of stuff and almost didn't play the game. Now I have much less stuff and play every day.

It's odd.

I'll admit it.

I'm hooked.

Damn you...

Herobizkit

Adventurer
How's this look, [MENTION=16069]Goonalan[/MENTION]? I plan to take Lethal Hammer Training as my level 2 feat to open up Warhammer (1d10) and throwing hammer (1d6) for use with my light weapon powers.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Mardred, level 1
Dwarf, Rogue (Scoundrel)
Rogue Tactics Option: Brutal Scoundrel
Rogue Option: Rogue Weapon Talent
Recent Life - Explorer of the Ancient (+2 to Thievery)
Theme: Guttersnipe

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 14, CON 14, DEX 18, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 12, DEX 18, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 10

AC: 16 Fort: 12 Ref: 16 Will: 10
HP: 26 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +9, Athletics +7, Dungeoneering +7, Perception +5, Stealth +9, Thievery +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +0, Bluff +0, Diplomacy +0, Endurance +4, Heal +0, History +0, Insight +0, Intimidate +0, Nature +0, Religion +0, Streetwise +0

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Guttersnipe Attack: Running Slash
Dwarf Racial Power: Dwarven Resilience
Rogue Attack 1: Clever Strike
Rogue Attack 1: Duelist's Flurry

Rogue Attack 1: One-Two Punch
Rogue Attack 1: Blinding Barrage

FEATS
Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training

ITEMS
Leather Armor
Adventurer's Kit
Dagger x3
Shuriken x20
Thieves' Tools
Climber's Kit
Belt Pouch (empty) x2
Sunrod x2
Short sword
====== End ======

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
How's this look, [MENTION=16069]Goonalan[/MENTION]? I plan to take Lethal Hammer Training as my level 2 feat to open up Warhammer (1d10) and throwing hammer (1d6) for use with my light weapon powers.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Mardred, level 1
Dwarf, Rogue (Scoundrel)
Rogue Tactics Option: Brutal Scoundrel
Rogue Option: Rogue Weapon Talent
Recent Life - Explorer of the Ancient (+2 to Thievery)
Theme: Guttersnipe

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 14, CON 14, DEX 18, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 12, DEX 18, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 10

AC: 16 Fort: 12 Ref: 16 Will: 10
HP: 26 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +9, Athletics +7, Dungeoneering +7, Perception +5, Stealth +9, Thievery +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +0, Bluff +0, Diplomacy +0, Endurance +4, Heal +0, History +0, Insight +0, Intimidate +0, Nature +0, Religion +0, Streetwise +0

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Guttersnipe Attack: Running Slash
Dwarf Racial Power: Dwarven Resilience
Rogue Attack 1: Clever Strike
Rogue Attack 1: Duelist's Flurry

Rogue Attack 1: One-Two Punch
Rogue Attack 1: Blinding Barrage

FEATS
Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training

ITEMS
Leather Armor
Adventurer's Kit
Dagger x3
Shuriken x20
Thieves' Tools
Climber's Kit
Belt Pouch (empty) x2
Sunrod x2
Short sword
====== End ======

Behold, for I have seen the light... and his name is Mardred...

Glorious.

Now all you have to do is survive till you're level 2- keep biting your nails, and get in there and kill Big Uppity.

LOL.

Remove ads