• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gorgoldand's Gauntlet Expanded

Ry

Explorer
The maps don't look too good on account of my real camera being broken. I used the webcam for these.

Last edited:

Ran this (along with your revisions) last night as a one-shot. We didn't really mean to, but my players were having so much fun that our group just kept playing until 2 am!

To say the least, everyone had a blast! If not for your recurring recommendation, I wouldn't have even considered it. Thanks for your urging, rycanada! Olde-school flavored fun abound!

So ... I ended up letting the dragon follow the characters out through the mirror, and was going to have the traps on the minesweeper board finish it off (my players were convinced this was the "solution" to a final puzzle), but they luckily killed it on the stairs with their very last spell. Afterwards, I thought that it might have been better if this actually was the easiest way to finish off the dragon.

No captures, sadly. Also, my players figured out every puzzle on their own. Pretty good! They figured out "ward" in a matter of seconds. The other puzzles took a minute or two at the most (a couple of my players were expert minesweepers and we cleared that in about 10 minutes!).

None of my characters speak gnomish to decipher the svirfnebli runes on the back of the Spriggan mirror. Any thoughts as to how to help lead them to activating this artifact?

Last edited:

Ry

Explorer
Thanks for letting me know! It's very gratifying to know that I helped. :)

Nice work to your players on them figuring out the puzzles! So did they see the ring the first time? Did you throw a candle into the oil at the bottom of the pit trap?

Did you use Pathfinder goblins? For the Spriggan Mirror I did 2 things: One, it was written in Dwarven script, and phonetically pronounceable by anyone who had that language. Two, any goblins that got in were happy to yell "Schvange!" and transform into bigger goblins. :)

Last edited:

Richards

Legend
I am still about, and it's incredibly cool seeing this adventure getting tweaked around and put to good use after all these years. Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun!

Johnathan

Yup! The rogue spotted the ring from the ledge before they crossed the chasm. They used their last rope to lower the duskblade to the water's surface, and he swam for it. As soon as he laid hold of the ring, out popped the ogre! The frenzy that ensued was great! The party shot into the water while the duskblade swam back up, and they pulled the nearly dead PC to safety. The ogre made his second climb attempt and was dispatched on solid ground.

The elven rogue (with ranks in search & spot, this was a 2nd level party), also spotted the spiky oil trap beforehand. They set it off w/o injury, but I still had the jermlaine/goblins drop a lit candle into the pit. It made for a nice, comic effect. By the time they figured out the riddle, I goaded them a bit, saying "I'm sure it melted in the fire." No one had a candle in their pack. I ended up having the candle miraculously present, sitting in the very corner of the trap.

We left the adventure with the party in the treasure room counting their gold. I think that's a good idea to have the little devils reappear and simply use the mirror and expand before their eyes. I had already established that the only runes were inscribed only in gnomish, so that's a fine solution. Another possibility would be to have the party find an instruction manual of sorts in another (more familiar) language among the hoard, but that is not as punchy a fix. I think I'll use your advice once more.

Another interesting thing happened during the dragon confrontation that I had to wing. The rogue grabbed the hoardmaster blade out of the dragon corpus mid-combat. He drew it and attempted to command the dragon. I hesitated for just a moment, wondering if I should let the battle end here. No. Instead, I decided instead to have the dragon round on the PC, "look" pissed, and primarily attack him for the rest of combat, though he did manage to injure other PCs with his breath weapon. When the sucker was vanquished, the sword vibrated.

With this precedent in place, the mechanics of the artifact must conform. I guess it will have to be something like this ... each time it is activated, only the original master present during activation, with blade in hand, can deactivate or control the dragon. Otherwise, the sword presents a problem in this situation. It would have been too easy on my party to let them off the hook if they found they could suddenly control the dragon! No way. This was only 3 rounds into combat! Have you had something similar happen before? How did you handle it?

I haven't decided which stats I'm going to use for the jermlaine. I use a home-made DM's screen with lots of Brian Froud's art plastered to it. I pointed to an appropriate looking fey and said that they all resemble this fellow. Kind of a grotesque and capricious looking fairy. Like the fairies in Labyrinth but less cartoonish. I have a week to decide which stats to use when they finally face them in combat. This also colored my description of the Spriggan mirror ... I said that their reflections were not only shorter, but nightmarish, grotesque, and leering ... also fading in and out a bit. They were appropriately creeped out, methinks.

Last edited:

Ry

Explorer
Sounds like a wicked game. :)

Oh, not sure if it's to your tastes, but check out E6 in my sig if you find your players sometimes level themselves out of the fun zone. For some reason I thought I'd discussed it with you before, but now I'm not sure.

rycanada said:
check out E6 in my sig if you find your players sometimes level themselves out of the fun zone.

I have read your houserules, and E6 sounds like an intriguing style of play. I have only played high-level games with 3.5E a handful of times, so the jury is still out for me on how clunky the system is over level 12. It seems like it may depend largely on how familiar the players are with the rules, their characters' special abilities/spells, and how prepared they are when their turn comes to act. ie I do believe that 20 minutes for a character to take his turn (to research and decide on his epic move) would definitely kill the momentum and quash the excitement. I'm interested to try E6 one day, regardless. It is on my list with C&C (which I own but haven't played) and BFRP as less complex games that I aim to test out eventually.

Richards said:
I am still about, and it's incredibly cool seeing this adventure getting tweaked around and put to good use after all these years. Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun!

Johnathan

We had a blast! Thanks for writing such a terrific adventure! I'll have to keep an eye out for others you've written.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Here is the set of riddle rooms I added to the adventure when I ran it:

4. Riddle Room

The narrow northern passageway continues for another 45 feet, and opens into a small cavern, fifteen feet long by fifteen feet wide. Next to the northern wall, painted onto the hardened earth, is a circle encompassing numerous runic symbols. The circle softly shines with a faint red glow. There are no exists from the cavern other than the one you entered through.

The circle is a magic teleportation device, and a detect magic spell will reveal a strong Transmutation aura.

Any character that steps on to the circle is teleported without error to one of the eight riddle rooms, all of which place the character to the north of the room, with a door to the south (though the players do not know which direction they are now facing without a successful sense direction check). Roll randomly (D6, or if more than 6 players, D8) for each character stepping on the circle to determine which room they teleport to.

Riddle Room 1 –

A flash of bright light engulfs you, and you feel a bit disoriented as the room spins. Suddenly a small room appears before you, five feet wide by ten feet long, made from cold, smooth, white marble. You are standing on a magic circle that looks identical to the one you just left, though it no longer glows. Across the room opposite you is a heavy wooden door. Neatly carved in the door are the following words “I have a mouth but cannot speak, lay on a bed but never sleep.” There are no other exits from the room.

The door is locked (1.5 in thick; Hardness 5; hp 15; Break (DC 18); Open Lock 25). It will magically open if the riddle’s solution, RIVER, is spoken aloud on either side of the door. Characters can hear each other through the door with a listen check (DC 15). Failure results in muffled sounds (recheck allowed every round).

Riddle Room 2 –

A flash of bright light engulfs you, and you feel a bit disoriented as the room spins. Suddenly a small room appears before you, five feet wide by ten feet long, made from cold, smooth, white marble. You are standing on a magic circle that looks identical to the one you just left, though it no longer glows. Across the room opposite you is a heavy wooden door. Neatly carved in the door are the following words “A goblin walked twenty miles into the woods to find me, stopped to look for me when he got me, then threw me away when he found me.” There are no other exits from the room.

The door is locked (1.5 in thick; Hardness 5; hp 15; Break (DC 18); Open Lock 25). It will magically open if the riddle’s solution, SPLINTER, is spoken aloud on either side of the door. Characters can hear each other through the door with a listen check (DC 15). Failure results in muffled sounds (recheck allowed every round).

Riddle Room 3 –

A flash of bright light engulfs you, and you feel a bit disoriented as the room spins. Suddenly a small room appears before you, five feet wide by ten feet long, made from cold, smooth, white marble. You are standing on a magic circle that looks identical to the one you just left, though it no longer glows. Across the room opposite you is a heavy wooden door. Neatly carved in the door are the following words “At night they come without being fetched. By day they are lost without being stolen.” There are no other exits from the room.

The door is locked (1.5 in thick; Hardness 5; hp 15; Break (DC 18); Open Lock 25). It will magically open if the riddle’s solution, STARS, is spoken aloud on either side of the door. Characters can hear each other through the door with a listen check (DC 15). Failure results in muffled sounds (recheck allowed every round).

Riddle Room 4 –

A flash of bright light engulfs you, and you feel a bit disoriented as the room spins. Suddenly a small room appears before you, five feet wide by ten feet long, made from cold, smooth, white marble. You are standing on a magic circle that looks identical to the one you just left, though it no longer glows. Across the room opposite you is a heavy wooden door. Neatly carved in the door are the following words “I never was, am always to be. No one ever saw me, nor ever will. And yet I am the confidence of all, to live and breathe on this terrestrial ball.” There are no other exits from the room.

The door is locked (1.5 in thick; Hardness 5; hp 15; Break (DC 18); Open Lock 25). It will magically open if the riddle’s solution, TOMORROW, is spoken aloud on either side of the door. Characters can hear each other through the door with a listen check (DC 15). Failure results in muffled sounds (recheck allowed every round).

Riddle Room 5 –

A flash of bright light engulfs you, and you feel a bit disoriented as the room spins. Suddenly a small room appears before you, ten feet wide by ten feet long, made from cold, smooth, white marble. You are standing on a magic circle that looks identical to the one you just left, though it no longer glows. Across the room opposite you is a heavy wooden door. Neatly carved in the door are the following words “Eight weigh the same, one does not. Balance them thrice, to find the special slot.” To the right of the door on the wall is a small balance resting on a marble shelf extending from the wall. In a small wooden cup in front of the balance are 9 pearly blue marbles. There are no other exits from the room.

The door is locked (1.5 in thick; Hardness 5; hp 15; Break (DC 18); Open Lock 25). Characters can hear each other through the door with a listen check (DC 15). Failure results in muffled sounds (recheck allowed every round).

The marbles and balance are not magical, however the room radiates a faint illusion glow if Detect Magic spell is cast. No normal or magical method, other than the scale, will be able to detect which marble weighs more or less than the others.

The solution: First balance one third of the marbles on each side of the balance. Roll 1D6 to determine which sets are weighed first: 1-4, one set weighs more than the other; 5-6 the sets weigh the same. Next take one of the group and balance it with one the outside group. That way you know not only which of the 2 groups have the different marble, but also weather that marble is heavier or lighter than the other ones. There are only 3 marbles to weigh, which reveals the answer.

Once the third balance use occurs, the door reveals a small marble-shaped enclosure below the lock. If the player puts the wrong marble in the door, the door makes an audible click, locking with a second lock (same stats as above lock), and nothing further happens. If the correct marble is put in the door, it opens.

Riddle Room 6 –

A flash of bright light engulfs you, and you feel a bit disoriented as the room spins. Suddenly a small room appears before you, ten feet wide by ten feet long, made from cold, smooth, white marble. You are standing on a magic circle that looks identical to the one you just left, though it no longer glows. Across the room opposite you is a heavy wooden door. Neatly carved in the door are the following words “To open, pour exactly 4 Gobs in the hole all at once, no more, no less.” In front of the door on the ground is a small hole that appears to drop forever. To the right of the door on the wall are two stone jars on a marble shelf extending from the wall, one has “3 Gobs” on the side, and the other has “5 Gobs”. To the left of the door is a small fountain pouring up and back down to itself upon on similar marble shelf extending from the wall. There are no other exits from the room.

The door is locked (1.5 in thick; Hardness 5; hp 15; Break (DC 18); Open Lock 25). Characters can hear each other through the door with a listen check (DC 15). Failure results in muffled sounds (recheck allowed every round). Neither the jars are nor the fountain is magical, however the room radiates a faint illusion glow if Detect Magic spell is cast. No player has heard of a Gob of measurement, nor does Bardic knowledge help.

The solution: The player should fill up the 3 Gob jar, and pour it into the 5 Gob jar. Next fill up the 3 Gob jar again and pour it in the 5 Gob jar until that one is full. There is one Gob left. Next empty the five Gob jar in the fountain (or elsewhere, just not the hole) and put the 1 Gob in the five Gob jar, followed by filling the 3 Gob jar again and pouring that into the 5 Gob jar, total 4 Gobs in the 5 Gob jar.

If the player pours exactly 4 gobs is poured into the hole all at once, with at least a two second pause afterwards, then the door opens. If less than 4 Gobs is poured in the hole with more than 1 second between additional water being poured in, or if more than 4 Gobs is poured in the hole, then the door makes an audible click, and a second lock (identical to the first) closes in the door, and nothing further happens.

Riddle Room 7 [BACKUP ROOM]

A flash of bright light engulfs you, and you feel a bit disoriented as the room spins. Suddenly a small room appears before you, five feet wide by ten feet long, made from cold, smooth, white marble. You are standing on a magic circle that looks identical to the one you just left, though it no longer glows. Across the room opposite you is a heavy wooden door. Neatly carved in the door are the following words “The beginning of eternity. The end of time and space. The beginning of every end. And the end of every place.” There are no other exits from the room.

The door is locked (1.5 in thick; Hardness 5; hp 15; Break (DC 18); Open Lock 25). It will magically open if the riddle’s solution, THE LETTER E (or just “E”) is spoken aloud on either side of the door. Characters can hear each other through the door with a listen check (DC 15). Failure results in muffled sounds (recheck allowed every round).

Riddle Room 8 [BACKUP ROOM]

A flash of bright light engulfs you, and you feel a bit disoriented as the room spins. Suddenly a small room appears before you, five feet wide by ten feet long, made from cold, smooth, white marble. You are standing on a magic circle that looks identical to the one you just left, though it no longer glows. Across the room opposite you is a heavy wooden door. Neatly carved in the door are the following words “I’ve more heads than any hydra and more tales than the longest book.” There are no other exits from the room.

The door is locked (1.5 in thick; Hardness 5; hp 15; Break (DC 18); Open Lock 25). It will magically open if the riddle’s solution, SACK OF COINS, is spoken aloud on either side of the door. Characters can hear each other through the door with a listen check (DC 15). Failure results in muffled sounds (recheck allowed every round).

There is a marble hallway five feet wide and fifty feet long, connecting each of the Riddle Room doors. Once one player makes it through their door, they can attempt to assist another player who is stuck, either by trying to pick a lock, break a door, damage a door until opened, or yelling to help solve their riddle. In the center of the hallway is an archway over a 10 foot wide cavernous, wood-lined passageway leading to the south. The air smells a bit metallic in this direction.

Remove ads