• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gorgoldand's Gauntlet Expanded

Ry

Explorer
Hi Mistwell, thanks for posting the riddle rooms!

Was there any encounters between the rooms, or was it 6 riddles in a row?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
rycanada said:
Hi Mistwell, thanks for posting the riddle rooms!

Was there any encounters between the rooms, or was it 6 riddles in a row?

Actually it was an encounter that splits all the players up into individual rooms. Each player had to figure out their own riddle, or else break down the door or get help from another player outside their room who had already finished their own riddle.

I'm running this again for a group of middle/high school kids tonight. This (wealthy) family is *paying* me to DM for the neighborhood kids ... as a regular weekend thing. Lucky, eh? However, they aren't what you might call the sharpest group of kids ... very enthusiastic though. I think I may need to nerf the minesweeper room. We'll see how it goes.

NotZenon

Explorer
this is a great thread...

i am currently running my players through Burnt Offerings (rise of the ruin lords), and was thinking of inserting gorgoldands gauntlet somewhere into the module, am hoping for tips/suggestions.

The PC's have currently just rescued Ameiko from the glass works, but have not yet explored the dungeon below. I was thinking of replacing the dungeon below the glass works with a modified version of the gauntlet, since about half of my players have played through the first half of Burnt offerings before.

I would need to modify the gauntlet significantly i think, but the basic premise i think works soundly. Inserting the thistletop goblins into the dungeon, since they could have began to explore it before or after their raid on sandpoint (takes the place of the jermlaine). Not sure where to place the Ruinwell, or if i should place Eryluim in the dungeon. The ruinwell perhaps could take the place of the spriggen mirror, offering a similar effect of turning the goblin who speaks the magic word into a mutaded monster like Korvus, and a different magic word could summon a sinspawn (i guess, the gauntlet probably doesn't need any additional tough badguys).

i don't like the minesweeper puzzle at all, any suggestions for a replacement? maybe i could just insert one of the rooms from the original dungeon?

the main issue i have (not yet resolved) is an explanation for this dungeon. Obviously its quite a bit less sinister than the smuggling cave in the original module (although it could be as deadly). and why would certain adventurers be teleported away unharmed?

i think i'm going to have to re-read the gauntlet again and hope something springs to mind.

thanx in advance for any help offered.

Richards

Legend
NotZenon, you're not the first to express dislike of the Minesweeper puzzle. I did up an alternate puzzle for that room, using metal plates with letters on them that you have to cross safely without getting zapped. (It's a word-based riddle puzzle, requiring no input or assistance from Snooky.) If you like, drop me an email at buntleby (at) hotmail (dot) com, and I'll send you the Word document detailing the alternate word puzzle.

As for the rest of your questions, I'm afraid I haven't read "Burnt Offerings," so I can't offer any suggestions.

Johnathan

Richards

Legend
Okay, I've figured out how to get the letters to line up in a messageboard post, so I'll go ahead and post the alternate to the Minesweeper puzzle here. This alternate has the advantage of using the exact same existing map as the Minesweeper version.

When the PCs enter from the south, they see the following: (the individual letters are each on a separate metal plate, and the four-line verse is carved into the stone at their feet):

B A Y N O D E R
O N L Y O N C E
G I N A Z N I S
W H O L E B A G
R P G S O N T V
S D O C M I T D
O D D D R E A M
N L Y M E N E L
Y O U M I G H T
G G E H T O C K
D E Y V U A I R
N H T O W B N A
A T A P R O O M
D L I F E U R N
L E A R N T H E
I O N I C S C I
B R U S H O U R
A R A C H N I D
M O A T L I F E
A G E O F M A N

A GRID OF LETTERS ON THE GROUND
PLEASE CHOOSE EACH STEP OUT IN ADVANCE
THERE'S ONE SAFE PATH THAT CAN BE FOUND
IT DOESN'T STAND OUT AT FIRST GLANCE

Solution:
Starting at the first row, step on the "E," then advance to the "A" in the second row, then the "C" in the third row, until you've spelled out "EACH STEP OUT IN ADVANCE," as per the instructions in the rhyming verse. Stepping on any other letter plate gets you "zapped" just like in the original Minesweeper version of the puzzle.

I hope this puzzle works better for you.

Johnathan

NotZenon

Explorer
No problem, NotZenon. Let us all know how the adventure goes. And welcome to EN World!

Johnathan

hey thanks again, just wanted you to know i never posted a reply because my game got pushed aside for another run through "red hand of doom" ... however we are now starting an E6 game (the group kinda soured on higher level play after RHoD) so i will finally get to DM this modified version of the Gauntlet.

Peace

Remove ads