• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grappling with a shield

Xellous

First Post
Straight forward question. Do you retain armor bonuses from you shield/buckler when you are grappling? Id assume no, but I'm not positive about this.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Xellous said:
Straight forward question. Do you retain armor bonuses from you shield/buckler when you are grappling? Id assume no, but I'm not positive about this.

Nothing in the grapple rules stops your shield from functioning.

Xellous

First Post
While its true that I didnt find anything about shields anywhere in regards to grappling, it just seems kinda silly to me that a person can pin someone and deal damage while using a shield to fend off attacks (both inside and outside the grapple). Anyone else have another opinion?

robberbaron

First Post
If you are using your hand to hold on to your opponent you can't use it to wave your shield around to defend yourself.

Perhaps you could take the shield's armour check penalty as a negative adjustment to AC, but I would be inclined to just say you gain no bonus from the shield.

Pinotage

Explorer
The recent Rules of the Game on grappling said that you could use your shield while grappling, but at a penalty to your attacking grapple checks. It doesn't unfortunately go on to say whether the AC bonus still applies. Arguable since it is covering your body, it should still apply, but since you're not wielding it, it may not. My intuition says that it's covering you so the AC bonus should apply. You do after all suffer the penalty to your grapple checks for that benefit.

Pinotage

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads