• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Graze on a miss questions

My opinion: "damage on a graze" forces the player to reimagine the way that hit points, damage, attack rolls, and weapons all work in order for it to make sense. I'm not willing to do that, so that new rule will never make sense to me. (Which is fine. I've never needed it.)
Then the whole concept of HP and armor makes no sense at all.

Rejuvenator

Explorer
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and the lightning"

It sounds as if this rule exposes cracks in the system. "Hit", "miss", "damage", "slashing", "graze"... it sounds like these words are bugs.

Here's one: it kind of throws a wrench into the whole hit/miss, succeed/fail, hit-points-are-meat spectre of D&D's.

So, bravo?
Into what?
Since when are hp just meat?
Since when does hitting and not hitting your AC tell you something about not connecting. (Maybe it was that way for a brief period of 3e, where you were able to target touch AC).

It is an abstraction. And everything works better if you look at it that way. Healing over night? Just sleep griveous wounds away? No. Rest to recover from your stress sounds much more plausible.

To throw my hat in the ring; in my system HP is called Composure. Additionally, my combat system is an Act/React system; you roll for both and how you roll basically covers how well you do both.

And in an effort to nix the null result, when you use your Act to attack, your opponent has to use their React in order to counter it, otherwise the attack will always hit. However, the Act roll still has to meet a minimum to-hit, otherwise the attack does half-damage. Likewise, when Reacting, the React roll has to exceed the opponents Act, otherwise you're unable to use your Armor to mitigate the damage.

It makes sense, and it keeps combat pretty slick.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
It does scale as you increase your STR stat from 3 to 5, and basically gives you +2 Damage per round to your DPR calculation at the highest (40%*5). It also scales nicely with the fighter's extra attacks and actions surges.

As a side note, I really hope they change the heavy weapon property to be STR based instead of Size based.
That's not really scaling in an appreciable way against stronger foes, though.

mellored

Legend
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and the lightning"

It sounds as if this rule exposes cracks in the system. "Hit", "miss", "damage", "slashing", "graze"... it sounds like these words are bugs.
Personally, I always found rolling to-hit and damage separately as unnecessary.

Like, you can get a 18 on your "hit" roll, but a 1 on damage...
Also, rolling twice slows the game down.

But I don't expect it to change with the 50th anniversary so...🤷‍♂️

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Personally, I always found rolling to-hit and damage separately as unnecessary.

Like, you can get a 18 on your "hit" roll, but a 1 on damage...
Also, rolling twice slows the game down.

But I don't expect it to change with the 50th anniversary so...🤷‍♂️
Mo' dice is mo' bette'.

Remove ads