• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Great Cleave against illusions or figments

kreynolds

First Post
Re: stuff

kramis said:
By the way, I guess you don't happen to have a relative in California named Kurth Reynolds who went to Caltech and grew up in Austin?

Not that I'm aware of, but who knows. My frickin' family is spread all over the states like an infestation.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
I sent this question to the Sage, some time ago. The message follows, with the response in bold:

Good morning, sir!
I have a question about the Cleave feat. Does it only work on animate enemies? Does it have its effect when I break an inanimate objects, or destroy a spell effect (e.g. Bigby's Interposing Hand)?

An inanimate object is not a "foe" and breaking such an object doesn't trigger a cleave. A creature-simulating, or creature-like spell like mirror image or Bigby's hand is a "foe."

Say I attack a wizard who has Mirror Image active. If I disrupt one of his images, does my Cleave feat allow a second attack?

See previous answer.
So, disrupting a Mirror Image does trigger Cleave. This agreed with my own ruling-- but then, I could've gone either way, which is why I asked the Sage in the first place.

Mahali

Explorer
If that is an actual Sage resposne it is opposite of his earlier response and in total conflict with the reading of the feat.

When you post a Sage response on a message board be sure to include the entire e-mail sent and the entire response. As sent it has no validity.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
No validity? WTF?

That is the entire email and response. Don't be getting all pissy at me because you disagree with a ruling.

kreynolds

First Post
AuraSeer said:
No validity? WTF?

That is the entire email and response. Don't be getting all pissy at me because you disagree with a ruling.

I'd like to reiterate my previous thoughts on sage responses...

But some of the tightwads (I mean that in a loving way) on these boards won't take a supposed post from the sage seriously, nor will they even give said post a moments notice. Why? Because they won't give credence to said post unless ol' Skip Williams himself rains fire from the skys, parts the seas, and delivers said errata via a blue flaming talking bush. Any short of an act of god won't convince them, especially if the supposed post came from the WotC message boards...

That said, you guys really do need to just accept the fact that the Sage has given up on humanity, and he will not be involved in a second coming.

IceBear

Explorer
No, what's happened above is why some people no longer listen to The Sage's Advice (not that I'm one of them) - he's been asked the same question twice and given opposite answers. He did this before with the 5ft step vs haste, and it appears that he's done it here as well.

IceBear

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
And for even more Mirror Image fun, conside the following two quotes, both from the spell description:

observers can't use vision or hearing to tell which one is the character and which the image

and

An attacker must be able to see the images to be fooled. If ... an attacker shuts her eyes, the spell has no effect

So I guess if you shut your eyes, it is assumed that your sense of smell is good enough to locate the real caster (no roll required) ;)

As for the question at hand though, one of the learned designers once said "When in doubt, favor defense over offense". So I'd say mirror image is not suceptible to cleave. And it's good to see that at least one of Skip's personalities agrees with me.

IceBear said:
No, what's happened above is why some people no longer listen to The Sage's Advice (not that I'm one of them) - he's been asked the same question twice and given opposite answers. He did this before with the 5ft step vs haste, and it appears that he's done it here as well.

IceBear

Ditto. I for one have given up on the Sage, and so have most of my players as well. I still read him for entertainment though, and this is a pretty funny response i must say.

Remove ads