• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Great Cleave against illusions or figments

kreynolds

First Post
Re: I seem to remember...

Cross said:
Wasn't there a Sage Response posted about this a while back? I could swear I read it on one of the many threads...from what I recal, it said that Cleave (and by extension Great Cleave) did not function against Figments created by Mirror Image because there is no target to drop.

Perhaps it was on the Wizards Boards...there's a thread there that details a buch of Sage Responses. Of course, I'm not at my home machine right now, so I don't have the link handy....

- Cross Nightwalker
- Acquisitions Expert for the Onyx Claw Consortium

Who knows. But some of the tightwads (I mean that in a loving way) on these boards won't take a supposed post from the sage seriously, nor will they even give said post a moments notice. Why? Because they won't give credence to said post unless ol' Skip Williams himself rains fire from the skys, parts the seas, and delivers said errata via a blue flaming talking bush. Any short of an act of god won't convince them, especially if the supposed post came from the WotC message boards...

...crap...did I just go off on a rant there? Maybe that better qualifies as a tyrade? Perhaps better defined as babbling?

;)

kreynolds

First Post
Mahali said:
No, Cleave and Great Cleave do not trigger when hitting an illusion. Mirror Image was the specific example the Sage said no too and here is why.

Well look at that. The point I already made. I guess I got myself on too many ignore lists. :)

Magus_Jerel

First Post
Seems like the figment isn't a creature - so cleave doesn't work.

After all - do the figments (of necessity) all get their own squares? I don't think so...

kreynolds

First Post
Magus_Jerel said:
After all - do the figments (of necessity) all get their own squares? I don't think so...

Yes. They get their own squares "of necessity" because it is "necessary" for them to do so in order to effectively confuse your attacker. If they were closer together, an attacker could just say, "I shoot the three that are overlapping."

kramis

First Post
stuff

If you want some sort of vague rationalization for why it won't work against figments think of it this way ... when attacking a figment you have to attack it as though it were real in case it is the real one. This means you are putting power and effort into the attack. When you end up hitting air it throws you off balance since you are trained to get your extra attacks after hitting something solid (probably have a good chance of throwing out your shoulder too, but that's a different issue). Anyway, just a thought.

kreynolds ... you'll never go on my ignore list ... even if I don't agree with your ... um .... er ... "subtle explanations", you are hysterical. Your posts are too entertaining to miss. By the way, I guess you don't happen to have a relative in California named Kurth Reynolds who went to Caltech and grew up in Austin?

mzsylver

Explorer
Magus_Jerel said:

this is why the Mirror Image spell is on total crack.

when you cast it, "These figments separate from you and remain in a cluster, each within 5 feet of at least one other figment or you." so the question is, if you get the maximum 8 images (or more for being empowered, what happens to the foes surrounding you? are all 8 images somehow in your square? are they invading your opponents' square? can you flank someone with mirror image???

*runs around like a chicken with its head cut off*

someone stop the madness!!!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads