Greedy player

Pandamonium87

First Post
Yes he had the chances to play in places when he could put to use what he said he was relevant to his character. But he keeps ignoring it. I know it's not my business, if he wants to play a sun elf obsessed by coins (I can't see the point of it, but ok) it's completely fine, but I think it doesn't fit the setting at all and it's my duty as a DM to educate the player to the setting. Then of course we can rearrange the character to let him play a greed sun elf, but first I would like he understand that it's something very peculiar.

However thanks for your answers :)

Derren

Hero
So what is the problem?
Okay, he is not Indiana Jones but rather the typical rival of Indiana Jones who seeks out forgotten artifacts to sell them, but I do not see how this would be disruptive.

Rune

Once A Fool
Yes he had the chances to play in places when he could put to use what he said he was relevant to his character. But he keeps ignoring it. I know it's not my business, if he wants to play a sun elf obsessed by coins (I can't see the point of it, but ok) it's completely fine, but I think it doesn't fit the setting at all and it's my duty as a DM to educate the player to the setting. Then of course we can rearrange the character to let him play a greed sun elf, but first I would like he understand that it's something very peculiar.

However thanks for your answers :)

If you think he's playing a character who is a cultural anomaly, go ahead and tell him so. Through NPCs.

NPCs are the voice of your setting, so go ahead and have them react to characters' actions.

What doesn't make sense is for you to tell the player that he's playing his character wrong. Because it's not possible for him to play it with the wrong personality.

A character's personality is not static. It develops through play and is rarely exactly as originally conceived.

Wild Gazebo

Explorer
I know it's not my business, if he wants to play a sun elf obsessed by coins (I can't see the point of it, but ok) it's completely fine, but I think it doesn't fit the setting at all and it's my duty as a DM to educate the player to the setting. Then of course we can rearrange the character to let him play a greed sun elf, but first I would like he understand that it's something very peculiar.

Remember, you are talking about an entire society...there are obviously anomalies in every society.

What about the brash impetuousness of youth...even found with some elves? Or, (and you will have to excuse me if I'm off base here as I'm not sure how much this has changed over time) the character could be hell-bent to improve the lot of his family. I believe a Sun elf's family status depends on the family's wealth of magic. So, if a young elf...with a bit of a rash streak...thinks that he can improve the status of his family by being a greedy miser, so be it. He might in fact tarnish his family's name; but, that doesn't mean he would be wise enough to know that...especially if he figures he could bring a lot to the table through adventuring.

And lets face it...adventurers are not your average citizens.

As a DM I've always found it best if I can find a way to say YES to my players...it might not be as they planned; but, I try never to shut them down.

Remove ads