• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GREEN SLIME: Back with a vengeance!

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
After being frustrated with the 3e take on green slime as a trap (and a fairly confusingly worded one), I would handle Green Slime thusly, after consulting the 3e DMG and MM, as well as the 1e MM:

GREEN SLIME
Small Ooze
HD: 2d10+2 (11 hp)
Initiative: -5 (Dex)
Speed: 0 ft. (stationary)
AC: 3 (+1 size, -5 Dex)
Attacks: Slam +3 melee
Damage: 1d6 Con damage (flesh), 2d6 damage (wood/metal)
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft.
Special Qualities: Bacteriological vulnerability, blindsight, camouflage, easy to excise, emental
vulnerability, ooze, immunity
Special Attacks: Devour, Splash
Special Damage: Damage repeats each round until removed or target consumed/destroyed.
Saves: Fort +1, Reflex -4, Will -4
Abilities: Str -, Dex 1, Con 12, Int -, Wis 1, Cha 1
Climate/Terrain: Any underground
Organization: Solitary, Pair (2) or Patch (3-6)
CR: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 3-5 HD (medium), 6-8 HD (large)

Blindsight (Ex): Green slime can detect prey by vibration.

Devour (Ex): Anyone reduced to 0 Con or an object to 0 hardness by green slime is devoured and gone
forever.

Camouflage (Ex): Spot check (DC 15) to notice it as being possibly something more than harmless.

Bacteriological Vulnerability (Ex): Casting cure disease on it immediately kills a green slime.

Easy to Excise (Ex): If green slime is scraped off a subject in the first round of its attachment (requiring a
successful melee attack that removes it regardless of damage rolled), and provided that item used to scrape
the slime off is then safely discarded, green slime cannot inflict further damage on that subject unless
somehow reattached (which begins the damaging process all over again).

Elemental Vulnerability (Ex): Green slime takes normal damage from all spells with the fire and cold
descriptor, or from normal fire or cold damage.

Ooze: Immune to mind-influencing effects, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, and polymorphing.
Immune to critical hits.

Splash (Ex): If the slime misses its intended target, roll for splash damage on the grenade-like weapon
table in the DMG, p. 68.

Weapon immunity (Ex): Green slime is immune to all weapons, regardless of magical enhancement or
material composition.

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Pretty much everybody I know or have met online has asked where the heck is the green slime at in the new MM? LOL. I was one of them, as was my co-DM.

Since its been classified as a trap (and hidden away in the DMG, where I have a hard time finding anything that isn't a PrC or magic item), poor old green slime (every fiendish DM's favorite!) has seen zero use in our games.

Hopefully, converting it back to monster form will make it much more useful and accessible to its fans. :D

With a name like Smuckers...

I really like this one. My campaign has some Jerl Shanarra/Spelljammer-esq air-ships. One of the BIG enemies of the lands is a being who uses oozes in many vile and arcane ways.
This critter will be perfect catapult ammo! I like it, plenty of buttery wholesome, bone desolving goodness!

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Re: With a name like Smuckers...

Bloodstone de Troll said:
I really like this one. My campaign has some Jerl Shanarra/Spelljammer-esq air-ships. One of the BIG enemies of the lands is a being who uses oozes in many vile and arcane ways.
This critter will be perfect catapult ammo! I like it, plenty of buttery wholesome, bone desolving goodness!

You'll do WHAT with it? Ahahhahahahahahahahahaahaha!!!! :D

Perfect, so long as your catapult's launching head has a layer of stone over it to prevent the slime from dissolving your catapult! And watch out for those butterfinger deckhands... D'OH!

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Not to start a "heated debate" going or anything, but I think the green slime actually works better as a hazard than a monster: I prefer the DMG's official version over making it a monster.

A monster is something that can move and/or attack, an organism with or without intelligence that has the capacity to engage in some form of thinking...even if its only insinctive (as indicated by monsters with 0 or no Intelligence score).

A green slime is just mold...it cant think or act or move in any way...it just sits there until some unlucky soul blunders into it or under it.

Its no more a "monster" than bread mold, despite the fact that it can dissolve you.

Sojourn

First Post
While I agree with DnDChick, I like having the stats, for all the reasons already mentioned. But your calculations are off, the AC is 6 the way you list it here, if everything starts with a base AC of 10.

Remove ads