• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Greyhawk Confirmed. Tell Me Why.

As far as the DMG Greyhawk section goes, wouldn’t it make the most sense to do the high level, top down stuff for the new dm, then present a methodology for building bottom up?

I mean, sure, top down can work great, but telling prospective DM’s that they need to do 20-40 hours of homework before they even start writing an adventure seems like a really bad idea.

Heck, telling them they need to do two or three hours of homework before play starts is a very steep barrier to play.

There’s a very good reason why Adventure Path modules are popular.

We want the DMG to get people excited to be DMs. Don’t we?
The time factor is the thing that keeps me as perpetual DM. The rest of my group have full time jobs, several have young families too. I’m semi-retired, I’m the only one with the time to be DM.

And illustrates why market to kids too. People who are stil at school are the other demographic who have the time.

1. Human: Confederacy
  2. Aasimar: Theocracy (lol on the nose)
  3. Dragonborn: Oligarchy
  4. Dwarf: Confederacy ( I guess the mountains don't unite)
  5. Ef: Dictatorship
  6. Goliath: Republic
  7. Gnome: Confederacy again.
  8. Halfling (Human Majority): Feudalism
  9. Orc: Meritocracy
  10. Tiefling: Autocracy (Infernal Empire. Let's go baby)
Where in the DMG would you explain the meaning of all these government types to someone who hasn’t studied political science?

And why is your table built on the preconceived notion that nations must be racially segregated?

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
But again this is the sort of top down approach that eats so much time and isn’t immediately practical.
Teaching DMs how to make a setting for others to play in doesn't take long.

We should teaching new players not to write a novel. Just the important things to get everyone in the same headspace and tone and hooks to attach PCs and dungeons.

Teaching DMs how to make a setting for others to play in doesn't take long.
It's not how long it takes to teach (although too long is certainly off putting), it's how long it takes to do. You need to teach DMs how to worldbuild in the smallest amount of time. And the amount of subject knowledge required. Expecting DMs to know about theology, political science, anthropology and genetics isn't appropriate.
We should teaching new players not to write a novel. Just the important things to get everyone in the same headspace and tone and hooks to attach PCs and dungeons.
Agreed.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
It's not how long it takes to teach (although too long is certainly off putting), it's how long it takes to do. You need to teach DMs how to worldbuild in the smallest amount of time. And the amount of subject knowledge required. Expecting DMs to know about theology, political science, anthropology and genetics isn't appropriate
You don't need to do that.

Some basic advice I see many DMs straight up not know is setting up the communitirs of allowed races

1. Where they come from?
  2. What God or gods they worship?
  3. What they like or hate? Beer, fighting, economics, gems, cheese.
You dont have to get too deep into the science. Just have the parts you will likely use ready or have examples to steal.

You don't need to do that.

Some basic advice I see many DMs straight up not know is setting up the communitirs of allowed races
Unnecessary. The option that requires the least amount of work, and therefore to be promoted, is that anything the players want to play is allowed.
  1. Where they come from?
Work it out with the player.
  1. What God or gods they worship?
Gods and pantheons are far beyond what newbie DMs should be doing. Not to mention the possibility of offence if you happen to parody a player's real world beliefs.
  1. What they like or hate? Beer, fighting, economics, gems, cheese.
These a matters for individuals, not societies.

Remove ads