• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Greyhawk Confirmed. Tell Me Why.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
To create a D&D ethnicity that isnt a reallife ethnicity is epistomologically impossible. And, the effort to try to do so is less desirable.

The fantasy versions of reallife ethnicities are fun, an opportunity for thought experiments, and grounding to help the players relate to the setting in a meaningful way.

All fantasy ethnic groups are, ultimately, references to reallife cultures. This means, ethically, we must describe and engage these fictional(ized) cultures with the same sensitivity, compassion, and knowledgeability about the complexity and diversity of the members, as we do for reallife ethnicities.

We need to see the best parts of any human (or humanlike) ethnicity, including the ones that we self-identify with. Only when we see the good and care, can any criticisms we might have become useful to others.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
At this moment, I don't think we can count on ever getting any additional Greyhawk material after the 2024 DMG.
That is true of any setting, even Forgotten Realms.

Maybe the DMs Guild can open up Oerth for unofficial content. There probably needs to be a reminder about how to deal with any problematic aspects of legacy content, such as the occasional sexist, homophobic, transphobic, and racist depictions, when creating new products for the DMs Guild.

(The legacy content doesnt normally have objectionable insensitive content, but it exists here and there, and is better to leave these less thoughtful moments in the dust of history.)

Meanwhile, curated regional settings from Greyhawk can appear officially, as setting guides and adventures. These localities can plug into any world setting that a DM happens to be using.

If the masses of new players today happen to take an interest in the Greyhawk setting, for sure there will be more products.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
The term "Greyhawk" means two things: the City and the planetary setting of Oerth.

The City is extremely important because this the creation of Gygax himself, one of the two inventors of D&D. This is the game that he made for himself and his friends to play in.

The other inventor is Arneson who made the Blackmoor town and region for his friends.

I love the City of Greyhawk − because of its reallife antiquity.

But I feel bad about referring to the "Greyhawk setting" because it privileges Gygax and displaces Arneson.

In fact, the region of Blackmoor is also on the map of the continent of Flanaess on planet Oerth.

I probably feel more comfortable referring to the "Oerth setting", to intentionally be inclusive of both Greyhawk and Blackmoor.

According to the description by Gygax, the town of Blackmoor might have been destroyed − the description is terse and location of the "ruins" seems to not be the coastal fishing town of Blackmoor itself, but some other location inland in the region of Blackmoor.

But a 5e version of Blackmoor can make Blackmoor alive and well. I feel this way of celebrating both inventors is the best way to honor them, for the Anniversary Edition.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What does a "example of making a setting" look like, do you think? My guess is there will be a campaign setting design chapter or setting, and the Greyhawk Gazeteer appendix will follow whatever format that is, with sidebars unobtrusively pointing back to the design chapter. This way the gazeteer remains useful beyond as an example of the process.

What do you think?
So, cirong back on the point about how this will be laid out, I am reminded of a DM resource I checked out on the dMsGuild because Chris Perkins recommended it for modern DMs, Aaron Allston's Dungeon Master's Design Kit:

"Accessories of Note: Forms. One of the most notable things about the Design Kit is its forms. There's literally a whole book of them. They allow GMs to detail adventures, villains, mysteries, and creatures, and also allow GMs to list monsters and treasures and to draw maps."

Jaeger

That someone better
So, I was very, very wrong. I was sure they would have created something new with appeal directed at GenZ players.
Greyhawk is a world inspired by Gygax's love of sword and sorcery pulp fantasy and hard coded medievalism. I just don't understand how that is going to appeal to generations raised on Avatar, Harry Potter and Steven Universe.

Wotc is on the record saying that the only official setting "canon" there is, is what they choose to publish for 5e.

They will take Greyhawk and make it into what it needs to be for the 50th anniversary not a new edition of 5e.

I expect nothing less.

Remove ads