• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Greyhawk Confirmed. Tell Me Why.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
It would need to explain
Would it, though?

It’s got these other races and mechanics not previously mentioned. Okay. Did settings get rewritten when there were weapon proficiencies? No. Did settings get rewritten for skill systems? No. 4e listed where gods fit in the new alignment zorro and carried on. And so on. I would genuinely surprised if there are more than dozens to low hundreds of people who would otherwise be satisfied with the DMG but won’t be if it lacks in-setting rationales for all that stuff.

JEB

Legend
For all the complaints 5e Ravenloft gets from old-school Ravenloft fans
I don't recall a massive amount of upset among established Ravenloft fans about Curse of Strahd. Some quibbling over a few of the retcons, but that's about all. It was Van Richten's that really made some people unhappy. Suggests that CoS didn't manage to cross a line that VRGTR did. (I suspect it's also not a coincidence that each successive setting reboot has been increasingly careful about how they handle retcons.)

I don't recall a massive amount of upset among established Ravenloft fans about Curse of Strahd. Some quibbling over a few of the retcons, but that's about all. It was Van Richten's that really made some people unhappy. Suggests that CoS didn't manage to cross a line that VRGTR did. (I suspect it's also not a coincidence that each successive setting reboot has been increasingly careful about how they handle retcons.)
I meant complaints about the Van Richten's version. Curse of Strahd opened the door to getting a proper 5e Ravenloft setting revival, even if many old-school Ravenloft are rather vocally unhappy with what ultimately came of it.

I happen to be quite happy with Van Richten's myself, though I don't have any real background with the setting prior to 5e.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
The hardest part of updating a 5e Greyhawk is recharacterizing the various ethnic groups.

It wouldnt be much change in terms of amount of text, but it would be deep change in terms of world altering implications.

• Barbarians would be less "barbarian", and rely less on reallife stereotypes.
• Latin American Indigenous wouldnt be White people who became darker.
• Orcs would be an anthropologically plausible culture, as opposed to kill on sight "witchdoctors".
• The weird fixation with "race purity" and skin and eye color would discontinue.

Uncomfortable stuff like this would seachange.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
And frankly, as a long time fan who bought the first adventure and first box set off the shelves, I’ve found something to enjoy in every iteration, and feel it’s important to provide a different perspective. ✌️
I have too. I liked the new version of I'Cath, for example, and as a general "horror in 5e" treatise it's actually quite good. But I object strongly to the idea that now this is what Ravenloft is.

TiQuinn

I have too. I liked the new version of I'Cath, for example, and as a general "horror in 5e" treatise it's actually quite good. But I object strongly to the idea that now this is what Ravenloft is.
It is what it is right now. And it's different from what I've run. Different from yours. And most importantly, it's very different from what it will be in the future because some designer in ten years from now is going to have new ideas.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Would it, though?

It’s got these other races and mechanics not previously mentioned. Okay. Did settings get rewritten when there were weapon proficiencies? No. Did settings get rewritten for skill systems? No. 4e listed where gods fit in the new alignment zorro and carried on. And so on. I would genuinely surprised if there are more than dozens to low hundreds of people who would otherwise be satisfied with the DMG but won’t be if it lacks in-setting rationales for all that stuff.
Those settings were not used for educational purposes.

Maybe I have a higher standard of education

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads